A good shortbread recipe is hard to come by, even though there’s many different varieties out there. What I mean by a good shortbread recipe is one that is not too difficult to master, takes very little time, is inexpensive, and holds its shape when baked.
This recipe has all of that, plus one added bonus – it’s adaptable! You can add candies or chocolates, you can change the colour of the dough with a few drops of food colouring, you can roll them out and cut them into squares with a knife, or you can use your favourite cookie cutters. I’ve even added different seasonings from time to time, such as a dash of ginger or cinnamon.
You’ll most definitely want to keep this recipe close by. It’s great for any occasion!
Three Ingredient Shortbread Cookie DoughPin Recipe SaveSaved! Print Recipe
- 2 cups butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- Optional - sprinkles candy canes, mini chocolate chips, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a handheld mixer, blend together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and use a spatula to fold the flour into the butter mixture.
- Once fully incorporated, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough until a 1/4 inch thickness has been achieved.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Add toppings if desired, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow cookie to completely cool before adding icing if you plan to do just that.