A light, fresh taste with just a hint of sweet, this protein packed Kidney Bean Brown Rice Salad is vegetarian-friendly, and is a quick and easy side or main. 20 minutes from start to finish and you’re good to go!
Lately, I have been on a salad high. Not the lettuce and tomato boring type of salad, but salads with lots of flavour, lots of grains, beans and/or legumes, and light, simple seasonings. And, Dear Reader, this Kidney Bean Brown Rice Salad is all of those things!
We eat a lot of salads in the summer months, but it’s easy to quickly grow tired of the same veggie-based salads. After all, how many times can one eat a tomato, lettuce, cucumber type of salad before wanting to throw the salad against the wall? (Never happened!)
Salads like this one eliminate the risk of broken dishes and dining room walls being stained with a balsamic vinaigrette. (Again, never happened!) Easy to prepare, simple ingredients, so much flavour you actually smile while shoveling it into your mouth, and a whole lots of healthy, good-for-you nutrients.
If you’ve been reading my blog for a while now, you might have heard me mention before that we are Sunday food prep enthusiasts. So, we always have cooked brown rice, millet, farro, couscous, or quinoa, etc., on hand throughout the week. That’s why this salad came together so quickly and easily.
If you’re a part of a busy family, or if you are one of those people who get home from work and can’t fathom the thought of having to make dinner, so you spend you hard-earned cash on take out food, then I encourage you to try Sunday meal prep. Just an hour or so of your time on Sunday evening can provide you with so many dinnertime options. A few minutes of your time is all you need to start a pot of rice or quinoa. Then, on any particular weeknight, grill a chicken breast and reheat some of that rice in a skillet and you’ve got a healthy, cost-effective dinner in less than 30 minutes. It would take you longer to wait for your pizza delivery to arrive!
Salads, such as this Kidney Bean Brown Rice Salad can be prepared start to finish on a Sunday and stored in your refrigerator in a food-safe container for up to three days. And, it makes enough for eight servings – that will surely lessen the weeknight dinnertime frustration. If you looking for more recipes that allow for Sunday food prep, do a search on my site. Locate the magnifying glass at the top of this post and type ‘Sunday’ into the search field.
If you have any other meal prep or salad ideas that you’d like to share with me, I’d love to hear from you. Leave me a comment below! Cheers!
Kidney Bean Brown Rice Salad
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked and cooled (any common rice will do - basmati, white, brown, etc.)
- 1 can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (19 ounces)
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (19 ounces)
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- This is a no-cook/bake recipe. Simple and easy!
- Start by whisking together the sauce/seasoning ingredients into a bowl until well incorporated - vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup or honey, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the red and white beans, rice, onion, parsley and roasted red peppers.
- Pour the sauce/seasoning mixture over the beans and rice and toss well to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour. When ready to serve, lightly toss once again.
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for quick and easy reference! Click HERE!