This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PickedAtPeak #CollectiveBias
Oh, Dear Reader, we were so happy when the farmers’ market near our apartment opened up this past weekend. We love heading out early on a Saturday morning to fetch fresh, locally grown produce. And, when it’s locally grown, most of it is organic too. Because of this Saturday morning ritual, this grilled vegetable ratatouille was born.
The classic ratatouille is such a wonderful dish and can be prepared so many different ways. But, if you haven’t tried grilling your veggies first, you simply must! Grilling the veggies adds a whole new level of flavour to this dish. In addition, I’m coupling the fresh, local farmers’ market produce with this wonderfully tasty sauce! Walmart stocks a new pasta sauce by Prego®, which brings home the taste of farmers’ market freshness. It’s simply called Prego® Farmers’ Market and comes in three varieties – Classic Marinara, Tomato & Basil, and Roasted Garlic. I could not resist; I had to buy all three!!
You can find a Walmart that stocks this product near your home here!
Prego® is a trusted brand which many families use to make dinner time easier, tastier, and healthier. As a part of my day-to-day routine of city dwelling, placing fresh, good-for-me products on the dinner table is a must! And, Prego® helps me to do just that with this jarred sauce containing ingredients which are picked at the peak of freshness – such as tomatoes, garlic, basil, etc. It was the perfect addition to my farmers’ market purchases this weekend!
If you have not experienced the joy of farmers’ markets, then I highly encourage you to do so! If you live in Ontario, you can find a list of markets here. Otherwise, try an internet search for your local area. A weekend jaunt to a farmers’ market is a great thing to do alone or as a family. Not only are you getting great produce at fair prices, you’re also helping to reduce our global footprint, supporting the local economy, and eating fresh, wholesome ingredients. To read more about our farmers’ market routine, click here.
I can’t wait to hear all about your farmers’ market outing and I do hope, Dear Reader, that you come back and share your Prego® Farmers’ Market sauce recipe ideas with me! Cheers!
Grilled Vegetable RatatouillePin Recipe Print Recipe
- 3 cups Prego® Farmers’ Market Tomato & Basil sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil. roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 large zucchini, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 medium eggplant, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick (roma tomatoes are best for this dish!)
- Lightly spray a grill pan with the cooking spray. Over medium heat, grill the onion, zucchini and eggplant on each side. You want to see grill marks, but don’t overcook. Do this step in batches and set the veggies aside to slightly cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and using cooking spray, lightly grease a baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the Prego® Farmers’ Market Tomato & Basil sauce, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Pour the sauce into the baking dish in an even layer.
- On a slight angle, begin to place the veggies in an oval pattern around the baking dish, alternating with each type of vegetable. Keep going until you have used up all of the veggies. You want the pan to be filled, and packed, but not tightly packed.
- Using the cooking spray once more, spray the top of the veggies quite liberally.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The tomato sauce will bubble up through the veggies and create a very rustic look. Bake for a few minutes longer if this is not the case by the 45 minute mark.
- Garnish with fresh basil and thyme and serve immediately.