There are many Copycat Big Mac Sauce recipes out there, but this one is the best! It’s so easy to make, and has a zingy flavour, and it’s super creamy. We use it on burgers, as a dip for fries, and also on pizza!
COPYCAT BIG MAC SAUCE
It’s probably safe to assume that most of us have had a McDonald’s Big Mac burger at some point. I’ve had a few, but to be honest, I would much rather have the Quarter Pounder with Bacon. But, put some Copycat Big Mac Sauce on that Quarter Pounder! Let me explain.
McDonald’s is a treat that we very seldom take part in. In my 20s, I probably ate too much McDonald’s. My ex wife and I would often pick up baby supplies at Walmart and enjoy a burger and fries combo before heading back home.
That was 18 years ago, but I still remember her order. It was the same thing every single time. She would order a Quarter Pounder Combo and substitute the mayonnaise with mac sauce. She always supersized her fries and got a supersized diet coke.
My order used to be a Double Cheeseburger until she convinced me to try the Quarter Pounder done her way. Almost 20 years later, I’m still eating my burger the same way!
During the Covid lockdown, McKenna begged us to go to McDonald’s. She’s a teen that has been missing her friends and school, and we wanted to cheer her up. So, we drove 30 minutes to the nearest drive-thru. We even convinced John.e to order something. He had a Fillet-O-Fish combo, while we both had – you guess it! – Quarter Pounders!
BIG MAC SAUCE – SO EASY, SO GOOD!
Copycat Big Mac Sauce is probably the main reason people buy the Bic Mac in the first place. There’s not really anything special about it. The meat is thin, the extra bun layer in the middle is just carbs. And, the lettuce is wilted by the time you eat it!
But, if you make Big Mac Sauce at home and prepare your own burger, you can make it even bigger and better. Most of the ingredients are probably already in your fridge or pantry! You don’t need to chop anything or cook anything. It’s a matter of whisking the ingredients together and that’s it!
I highly recommend that you refrigerate the sauce for at least two hours or so before eating it. It just gives that ingredients time to marry together, which really just enhances the flavour. It’s so good! I can’t wait for you to try it!
- Mayonnaise – This is a calorie dense sauce. I used Hellman’s Light Mayonnaise, because I knew I was going to eat way too much sauce!
- Ketchup – Any ketchup will do, but I like the tanginess and the sweetness of Heinz.
- Vinegar – It seems like a lot, one tablespoon of regular white vinegar is the perfect amount. Don’t use flavoured vinegars, it will throw off the taste.
- Relish – Our fridge always has sweet pickle relish, because I use it quite often.
- Onion – You need just a little bit of onion, but it makes a big difference to the taste. Use your box grater to finely grate the onion.
- Ground Black Pepper – No salt is needed in this recipe, but it does need a bit of warmth. Black pepper is the best way to achieve that!
HOW TO MAKE COPYCAT BIG MAC SAUCE:
This recipe really couldn’t get any easier. This is exactly how I like to prepare it. I measure out all of the ingredients and add them to a bowl. Then, I whisk everything together it’s smooth and creamy.
Transfer the entire lot to a food safe bowl with a tight fitting lid. Place in the refrigerator for at least two hours before using. This gives all of the ingredients time to blend well and produce a uniform, delicious sauce.
Use as you see fit. Sauce will keep just fine in the fridge for up to two weeks. I guarantee you though, there’s no way it will last that long, because you’ll want to put it on everything!
PUTTING YOUR SAUCE TO USE
The most obvious choice is a homemade burger, but you can use this sauce in other ways too. Because of the fact that Big Mac Sauce is very similar to a Thousand Island salad dressing, you can use your Big Mac Sauce on a salad.
The 1980s classic Tossed Salad or Garden Salad would be perfect. You don’t want a salad that’s complicated and full of ingredients, because it will distract from the sauce. I suggest a simple salad consisting of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and cheese.
I will use this sauce in my tuna salad. I will use it to dip fries into instead of just plain ketchup. It’s a delicious dip for pizza crust. And, it works very well with onion rings too!
Copycat Big Mac Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon grated white onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. (The sugar is optional. Only add it if you prefer a sweeter sauce.)
- Transfer to a food-safe bowl with a lid. Refrigerate for 2 hours before using.