Great for guests or a quiet Saturday morning breakfast with your family. All of the prep can be done ahead of time too! These sausage and egg filled taquitos are perfectly spicy and cheesy!
Okay, lets get one thing out of the way before we begin talking about the glorious deliciousness that is this Breakfast Sausage and Egg Taquito. What the H, E, double hockey sticks is a taquito?
Truthfully, the first time I heard of a taquito was on one of my trips to the southern states. They’re not too popular here in Canada – or at least not in my neighbourhood – but, I have seen them pop up on a fast food menu once or twice in the past couple of years.
I think I was in Texas the first time I saw them. I was traveling with a few other individuals and one of them ordered taquitos from one of the fast food stands at the mall food court. Having never heard of them, I assumed they were hot and spicy, so I stuck to what I knew – KFC.
Anyway, she comes back to the table with these crispy rolled tortillas filled with beef, cheese, jalapenos, etc. She dipped them in generous amounts of sour cream and salsa, and I knew right then and there that the KFC wasn’t going to satisfy me.
I had to know what they were. A taquito, which loosely translated is Spanish for small taco, is a popular Mexican dish that usually consists of a small rolled-up tortilla with filling such as shredded beef or chicken, and cheese. The filled tortilla is then fried until crispy. (I baked my version because I wanted to keep the calorie count and fat content as low as possible. That gives me extra wiggle room for more sour cream! See how my mind works?
Taquitos are often served with condiments such as sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole. The only reason there’s no guacamole in the photos you see in this post is that I didn’t realize we were out of guac until I had the taquitos plated and ready for their close up! Otherwise, there’s no doubt that guacamole would have been piled high into a dipping bowl like the sour cream and salsa as well!
You can make taquitos with beef or chicken like I had previously mentioned. You can also use pork or even beans if you want to make a vegetarian version. I was determined to make a breakfast or brunch taquito, so I decided to use breakfast sausage and scrambled eggs with lots of cheddar cheese.
I also made my version spicy, but you don’t have to do that. Use just a regular breakfast sausage link – I used a spicy breakfast sausage. I also added taco seasoning to the scrambled eggs, but you can leave that out too if you find it to be too spicy.
Truthfully, if I were to make these Breakfast Sausage and Egg Taquitos without spicy sausage links and without taco seasoning, I don’t think I would serve them with sour cream and salsa. I would just serve them with ketchup or just the way they are – plain, warm, crunchy, and cheesy gooey!
At the beginning of this post, I mentioned that you can do the prep work ahead of time. You can fry the sausage until completely cooked all the way through. Remove the sausage from the skillet and drain well on a paper towel. Once cooled, place in a food safe container and refrigerate.
The same thing goes for the eggs. Add the whisked eggs to your skillet and scramble them until just done. Allow the eggs to cool and place them in a separate food safe container and refrigerate.
When you’re ready to assemble, start with instruction number seven in the recipe card below and in no time at all, you’ll be feasting on the most delicious, the most crunchy and crispy – and cheesy! – breakfast taquitos you can find. Trust me, Dear Reader, you’re going to love these!
If you loved this recipe, here are some others that might interest you as well:
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later! Click HERE!
Breakfast Sausage and Egg Taquitos
- 12 whole breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 teapsoon olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning blend
- 12 small tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- non-stick cooking spray
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet, along with the sausage links. Over medium heat, cook the sausages until browned on all sides. This should take about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the sausages from the skillet and set aside. Discard all of the oil left in the skillet, except about 1 tablespoon.
- Whisk together the eggs, green onions, salt, ground black pepper, and taco seasoning.
- Add the eggs to the skillet, with the remaining one tablespoon of oil from the cooked sausages, and over medium heat still, cook the eggs, stirring often. The eggs should look like, and have the consistency of scrambled eggs when done.
- Set the eggs aside to cool slightly.
- Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and place on the middle rack in a preheated oven for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven. Spread the tortillas out on a clean surface, such as your kitchen counter, and evenly distribute the scrambled eggs into the center of each tortilla.
- Position the mound of eggs so that they are in a straight line/mound directly through the middle of each tortilla.
- Next, evenly distribute the cheese over the eggs.
- Top each tortilla with a cooked breakfast sausage link.
- Roll each tortilla tightly and place on a baking sheet which has been lined with aluminum foil. Make sure the seam side of the tortilla is facing down.
- Lightly coat the top of each tortilla with non-stick cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes or until the tortillas are golden brown.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream. (Optional)
Are you making this recipe? Show me your version! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook! @lordbyronskitchen | #lordbyronskitchen