Muffins are one of those things that never seem to last very long in our home. If that muffin has a banana base and is packed with berries, all the more better! Blueberry Banana Muffins are the perfect grab and go breakfast item!
These are one of the best Blueberry Banana Muffins that you will ever eat! That’s a very strong statement, I know. And, you might not know me well enough to trust me, but you need to do just that. They are, indeed, the tastiest muffins! There’s something classic about the pairing of fresh blueberries baked into a banana muffin base. They’re simply perfect!
I have another muffin recipe that uses the same banana base, and it’s one of my most popular recipes. White Chocolate Raspberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins tend to be a little more sweet. That’s because of the addition of the white chocolate, of course. But, adding the white chocolate to those is completely optional. I didn’t dare add any to the blueberry version! They don’t need it at all.
Have I ever told you that John.e is a banana collector? No? Not a collector of bananas in the same sense that an Elvis fan might collect salt and pepper shakers, or in the same sense that a collector of roosters might collect cookie jars, figurines, or coffee mugs. Nope, John.e collects expired bananas.
Again, there’s two of us, and just last night, he purchased 8 bananas. I eat probably one or two bananas each week, and I rarely see him eating one except on Saturday and Sunday mornings when he partakes in his ritual of one banana with a glass of chocolate soy milk. So why does he buy so many? Your guess is as good as mine, frankly!
Without fail, though, by the end of the week, there’s at least two bananas that are overly ripe, and will move from the fruit bowl to the freezer. I’m not sure if I introduced him to the option of freezing over ripe bananas for baking, or if he already knew about it. Either way, I’m sorry that he knows!
This week, I counted twelve bananas in our freezer. I can’t toss them out, because he’s big on not throwing out food. So, I decided to make muffins. Banana muffins on their own is fine, but I didn’t feel like making banana muffins which would basically end up tasting like banana bread. I opted to combine my blueberry muffin recipe with the bananas that I had on hand. The result was delicious!
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour is perfect for these muffins. I have not tested them with other flours, such as wheat, gluten-free, etc.
- Leavenings – Both baking powder and baking soda are used.
- Bananas – They will need to be really ripe, meaning the banana should have more brown spots than yellow left on the peel.
- Basics – Like 99% of the baking recipes out there, you will need butter, sugar, salt, and egg.
- Vanilla Extract – There’s just something about vanilla that makes everything taste better!
- Blueberries– Of course! You can use fresh or frozen.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST MUFFINS YOU WILL EVER EAT!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 12-hole muffin tin by spraying the holes liberally with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and using a hand mixer, blend together the butter and sugar. Once blended, add the egg, vanilla, and bananas; mix together well.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and incorporate into the wet ingredients. Gently fold in the blueberries. Scoop equal amounts of the batter into muffin tin holes. Do not fill more than 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin and placing on a cooling rack to complete the cooling process.
I think these muffins are perfect for a summer brunch. They are so pretty and so tasty. I would share these with friends if they weren’t so delicious. Between the three of us, these muffins didn’t last more than a day or two!
To keep the really fresh, I like to stack them into a container with a tight-fitting lid. They will keep for 3-5 days on your countertop. I always store muffins in a cake stand. They look very homey, comforting, and inviting. It encourages everyone to take one every time they walk through the kitchen!
Blueberry Banana MuffinsPin Recipe Save RecipeSaved! Print Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Using a large mixing bowl and a hand mixer, blend together the butter and sugar.
- Once blended, add egg, vanilla, and bananas; mix together well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and incorporate into the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in the blueberries, reserving 1/4 cup.
- Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone liners and scoop equal amounts of the batter into the paper cups. Do not fill more than 3/4 full.
- Top the batter with the 1/4 cup blueberries you set aside.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin and placing on a cooling rack to complete the cooling process.