Summer is here! (Still.. ugh!) I hate summer – really, I do! But, that’s no excuse not to partake in a refreshing and delightful summery drink like this Very Berry Virgin Mojito. Before you get your knickers in a knot, yes, you can most certainly undo the virgin part by adding a good splash of vodka! 😉
As for me, John.e, and of course, McKenna, we like our drinks to be virgin. John.e and I never consume alcohol simply because we don’t like the taste. If you can pour yourself a tall one or a shot, by all means, go for it! #nojudging
Personally, this drink has been the best one I’ve had so far this summer. I love to sit outside on a hot day with an ice cold beverage. Last year, I was big on the Sweetened Peach Iced Tea, but this year, I think the virgin mojito has won me over. I love the bright, crisp flavour of the bruised mint leaves, and the pop of colour and burst of flavour from the raspberries and blackberries. In fact, I’ve made it my mission to find a winter version of a virgin mojito so that I don’t have to wait until next summer to enjoy another tall glassful.
As you can see from the recipe, I used a Diet Sprite as the base for this drink. You most certainly can use regular Sprite, Sprite Zero, or even a 7up or a Limeade. Be sure to use a soda/pop base that has lemon/lime flavours and you’re all set!
Very Berry Virgin Mojito
- 1 litre Diet Sprite
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves
- ice cubes
- Begin by placing about half a cup of fresh mint leaves into each glass. (I remove the leaves from the stems, but that's a personal preference.)
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon, crush the mint leaves slightly so they become bruised. This will result in a stronger minty flavour.
- Next, fill the glass half full with ice.
- Pour in the Sprite and top with a few berries.
- Stir to combine and enjoy!