I bet you thought vegetarians couldn’t bask in the deliciousness that is Vegetarian Sausage and Peppers, right? Well, they most certainly can!
Vegetarian sausage is readily available in almost any market and they actually taste really good! The only thing missing from vegetarian sausage that one can find in a regular meat-filled sausage, is the grease. Now, I know grease is an important factor to sausages, and there’s nothing quite like the smell of pork sausages being fried in a skillet, but if you can get past the lack of animal fat in a vegetarian sausage (oh, and no casing!) then you’ve got yourself a great tasting meat substitute.
There are many brands of vegetarian sausage, and we’ve tried quite a few, but my personal favourite is the Tofurkey brand. This is by no means a plug for that brand, I’m just letting you know that it’s the one that works best for us as a family. If you have a brand you prefer, go ahead and use that!
The Italian flavour, which is what I used for this recipe, consists of tofu, vital wheat gluten, canola oil, water, soy sauce, soy flour, sundried tomatoes, basil, granulated garlic, sea salt, and spices. Nothing foreign or strange there!
When you fry them up with peppers, as in this recipe, you’ve got a series of meals just waiting to be put together. So, I would suggest doubling the recipe and putting a portion of it or two aside for later. Try tossing the mixture with some cooked pasta, or piling it high on a warm crusty bun with shredded cheese. Or, you could always ladle it over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
You decide; and if you want to eat it straight from the pan as is, no one will be any the wiser. 😉
Vegetarian Sausage and PeppersPin Recipe Print Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package vegetarian sausage, sliced 3/4 inch thick (4 links)
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet and bring it to a medium heat. Add the sliced vegetarian sausage, cut side down and sauté for 3-4 minutes on each side, just to brown the "meat."
- Remove the sausage from the skillet and set aside.
- Do not drain the oil. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they are wilted and slightly browned.
- Add the peppers and sauté all together for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, salt, oregano, basil, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; stir into the peppers and onions. Cook together for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage back into the pan and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Once the sausage is heated through, the dish is ready to serve.