An easy weeknight chicken dish with a deep, delicious flavour profile. Using a few pantry items, this recipe transforms cheap chicken drumsticks into what will soon become a new family favourite!
It’s really no big secret, Dear Reader; I love cooking, but cooking doesn’t need to be cumbersome. Even though I blog about food – and, probably eat more than my fair share of it! – sometimes, I love to take the easy route and cut a few corners.
My pantry is always, always, always stocked with canned beans, lentils, tomatoes, sauces, and various vegetables. That’s why I can pull together a great tasting dish in very little time by combining fast and easy pantry items with fresh ingredients as well.
For instance, in this recipe, I’m using canned artichokes, store-bought sun dried tomatoes, and parmesan cheese. But, when selecting chicken, I take my time and look for chicken that is freshly packaged, has a great colour, and flesh that springs back when I push down on it with my index finger.
The same goes for olive oil. Always use the best olive oil you can afford. We have a preference for olive oil in our home – we like the flavour, and it’s affordable. When it’s on sale, we stock up!
Chicken like this particular dish is perfect anytime, but is most certainly geared toward after work, weeknight cooking. Even though I live with two vegetarians, and I prep dinner for them both every single night, I am not a vegetarian and I need to eat too. With this dish, I can throw it in the oven and forget about it while I prep a vegetarian dish for John.e and McKenna.
Lastly, most cans of artichoke hearts will have about 7 or 8 pieces. You only need two for this recipe. Don’t waste the rest! Head back to your food processor with the leftover artichoke hearts, more parmesan, olive oil, and sun dried tomatoes. Pulse it and store it in a mason jar. It makes for a very tasty sauce to toss with freshly cooked pasta. Seriously delicious!
Sun Dried Tomato Artichoke Parmesan Chicken Drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup canned artichokes marinated in water, drained, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried sun dried tomatoes, chopped (if using tomatoes packed in oil, cut back on the olive oil)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Toss the chicken drumsticks in the sauce mixture to evenly coat. (Save the sauce mixture!)
- Place the drumsticks on the baking sheet, leaving ample room between each drumstick.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with the remaining sauce mixture. Return the drumsticks to the oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.