A quick and easy sweet treat which can be made with items you already have in your pantry. Coconut Square Chewies have a simple shortbread-like base, and are topped with a sweet, gooey, chewy topping, before being baked to golden perfection. If you love home style, rustic desserts, Coconut Square Chewies are perfect for you!
Even though my mom never made this particular recipe; not that I can recall anyway, this recipe reminds me so much of her. My mom loved to cook and bake and I credit much of my love for food to her. Our home was never without a homemade square, bar, cookie, cake, or pie. And, she learned everything she knew about cooking and baking from her mom.
I wish I could say the same thing! My mom never let me near the kitchen – except to help with the dishes or something like that. Much like me, she liked to be alone in the kitchen. Having someone help or having to show someone what to do, only slowed her down.
In my own life, there are many times when I will complain about having to take care of all of the cooking and baking for both John.e and McKenna. And, they often offer to help me out, but I always politely decline. If I have to tell someone how to crack an egg or how to properly measure a cup of flour, I’d prefer just to do it myself. But, they’re both great with the clean up! Even on the weekends when I bang out two or three recipes back to back for this blog, John.e is right there to wash up the dishes. Isn’t he great!?
Let’s get back to this recipe though, before I get too carried away. A Coconut Square Chewie is a great sweet treat to start with if you’re new to baking. It’s easy to make, has very inexpensive ingredients, and the results are pretty much guaranteed to be perfect every time. Seriously, Dear Reader, it would be extremely difficult to mess up this recipe!
Creating a shortbread base is very easy to do and you’ll love the crumbly, cookie-like texture of this particular one. And, to top it all off, you get a chewy, sweet, gooey-like texture on top of the shortbread base, which creates a flood of taste and texture in your mouth. Serve this treat with a hot tea on a stay-at-home Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and it’s bound to put a smile on your face.
If you’d like to get a little more fancy, you could also drizzle melted dark chocolate over the top of these once they’re cooled and have been cut into squares. How’s that for an impressive afternoon tea social!?
Coconut Square Chewies
For the base:
- 1/2 cup butter, soft/room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the topping:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut, sweetened and shredded
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degree.
- Next, line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, use a handheld mixer to fully incorporate the butter, sugar, and flour amounts under the 'base' heading above. Mix on medium speed for a full 2 minutes. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and gently press the mixture into the pan. Be sure to get into the corners. Use the bottom of a drinking glass or mug to evenly press the mixture.
- Bake the base for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, add the 'topping' ingredients to a mixing bowl and use your handheld mixer to just incorporate the ingredients. Don't over mix.
- Pour the topping mixture over the base and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.