Yes, Dear Reader, you read that correctly – chocolate mayonnaise bundt cake. Your eyes did not deceive you. This cake is most certainly made with mayonnaise, and as weird as it seems, it’s absolute perfection! I feel a little awkward boasting about how great this cake is, because my co-workers are going to read this. Let me explain…
I made the cake after work one night and was so proud of how it turned out – especially how great it looked in my new Pioneer Woman cake stand! There are four very awesome ladies that I work with, and we all belong to a group chat that we set up on our smart phones, affectionately called, The Heffers. Well, I sent a picture to all of them and they wrote back asking if I was going to bring it to work. My response was something along the lines of, “you all know where I live; bring coffee!” Well, they were serious! But, I failed to bring the cake to work the next day. So, the ladies didn’t get to taste the cake until nearly 48 hours later.
On top of the time the cake sat in the cake stand on my kitchen counter, I made the mistake of slicing the cake the night before I brought it to work. I placed the slices in food safe containers and placed it in the refrigerator until the morning. The next day, I toted the slices off to work with me and gave them to The Heffers. Well, as you may have guessed by now, the slices of cake were drying out – and the one Heffer (Margaret!) was all to eager to point that out! (She’s the mouthy one of the group.) The others – Vera, Lesli, and Nadia, all agreed that it was dry, but liked the taste.
John.e, on the other hand, got to taste the cake when it was freshly sliced. He raved about how great it was. Me, being on a constant diet (it seems!) took one bite just so that I could deliver my thoughts. I was pleasantly surprised how light the cake was in density, but the texture was fantastic, and the chocolate flavour was intense; that, Dear Reader, is just the way a cake should be!
But, alas, you judge for yourself. I’m sure you’ll be delightfully surprised. And, don’t worry; even though there’s no oil or eggs in the list of ingredients, mayonnaise is made using oil and eggs, so they’ll be present in the end. 😉
Chocolate Mayonnaise Bundt Cake
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a bundt pan by lightly spraying the interior with cooking spray. Next, lightly sprinkle flour around the interior of the pan - it should easily stick to the cooking spray. Do not over flour the baking surface!
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sifted flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended.
- Add the mayonnaise to the flour mixture, along with the water and vanilla extract.
- Use a sturdy wooden spoon to stir the ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the bundt pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is ready; if not, allow to bake for 2 minutes longer.