Slow-roasted, seasoned braised beef, cooked to perfection then shredded and added to a delicious, hearty marinara sauce – the perfect ragu sauce for a thick-cut pasta dish!
This sauce is not meant for the light eater. Loaded with shredded braised beef, this ragu is seasoned just right with oregano, basil, parmesan, and tomato sauce. If you’re much like me, you’ll want to curl up with a big bowl of this with Netflix as your only company, and wearing your best stay-home pajamas.
Braised beef takes a bit of time and patience, so if you already have some and you’re looking for a great way to use it up, a ragu is a wonderful option. If, however, you do not have any leftover braised beef (and why would you have leftover, right!?) then you can certainly make some from scratch.
For the recipe below, I’m assuming that you have beef already prepared and shredded. If not, here’s my go-to recipe for shredded, braised beef. Beth, from Budget Byte$, has a great Multi-Purpose Shredded Beef. All you need is beef and broth – so delicious and very easy!
In my humble opinion, there’s really nothing like a great tasting pasta dish. But, you see, Dear Reader, this Braised Beef Ragu is not limited to being served with pasta. I like to keep some in my freezer to top a baked potato with, or to pile onto a toasted bun with a side slaw. I also like to serve it with steamed rice, or with mashed cauliflower. It’s a great freezer-friendly sauce that will last for weeks!
Tonight’s menu, though, is pasta. Armed with a skillet full of steaming hot Braised Beef Ragu, some freshly cooked pasta, shaved parmesan cheese, and a healthy appetite, dinner is served!
By the way, you’ll note that there’s bread in the photographs as well. The bread was left uneaten. With a pasta dish this good, why ruin it with bread?
Braised Beef Ragu
- 4 cups cooked shredded beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried red chili flakes, or to taste
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (save some for garnish if desired)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 450 grams pasta, choose a wide noodle for best results
- In a large Dutch oven, add the olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the shredded beef and stir. Cook the beef for a few minutes until some of the shredded meat has browned.
- Add the onion, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the dried red chili flakes, if you prefer no spice, leave them out. Next stir in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, oregano, and basil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Allow to cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Next, stir in the parsley and parmesan cheese. Turn off the heat, and place the cover back on the pot.
- Allow to sit, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Stir to combine and serve immediately over cooked pasta.
- Garnish with parsley and parmesan.