This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CatelliPasta #CollectiveBias
If there is one thing I love more than anything else, it’s being prepared. Honestly, Dear Reader, I get so nervous if I’m running late for something or if I feel unprepared. In fact, I’d much rather stay at home and forget about the whole thing. Well, dinner is no exception. As much as I love to cook, I also enjoy a night off. And, this recipe allows me to come home from work and have a healthy, tasty dinner without all of the fuss of cooking and cleaning. Who wouldn’t want that after a long day at the office?
My colleague, Margaret, is the queen of preparedness. She has to be; she works full time and has four kids. Three of those kids are in school and the last is still in day care. I cannot imagine what her nights are like after she arrives home from work and faces the beginning of another day. Yet, she pulls it all together by prepping as much as she can on the weekends – especially make-ahead meals.
This dish was inspired by Margaret. I was able to prepare this dish in its entirety using one pot and one bowl on the weekend. Then, I was able to cover it, place it in the refrigerator and simply place it in the oven after work for 30 minutes and dinner was done. This dish is wonderfully tasty – the creaminess of the ricotta, paired with the healthiness of the spinach, the saltiness of the parmesan cheese, and the silkiness of the perfect lasagna noodle by Catelli, made dinner so much more enjoyable.
Catelli products have been a staple in my life throughout the years. My mom used to use Catelli products religiously. One of my favourite dishes was her baked ziti using the meat sauce in the blue can. Can you remember that? It’s been so long since I’ve had it; brings back such great family dinner memories! For this recipe, I opted for the Catelli Smart line. Catelli Smart tastes just like traditional white pasta, but offers the added benefits of fibre. With 32% of your daily recommended fibre intake per 85 g serving, it’s a delicious way to incorporate more fibre into your family’s diet. I highly encourage you to try it! You can find Catelli products nestled among the other pasta brands in the pasta and pasta sauce aisle at your local grocery store. I purchased the Catelli Smart pasta at Loblaws, but you can find them almost anywhere!
Let’s get to the recipe, Dear Reader, and do me a favour… share your favourite Catelli recipes with me in the comments section below. Happy Eating!
Spinach Ricotta Lasagna Rolls
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 300 grams frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups canned pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Follow the cooking instructions on the package of lasagna noodles.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, stir together the ricotta, one cup of the parmesan, spinach, onion, garlic, chili flakes, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare a large baking dish, approximately 9x13 inches, by pouring the entire contents of the jar of sauce into the dish. Evenly spread the sauce around to coat the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside.
- Once the noodles are cooked, lay each noodle flat on a cutting board.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture onto each lasagna noodle. Spread the mixture evenly over the noodle, making sure to get to the very end, yet leaving at least 1 inch free of filling at the end.
- Begin to roll up the noodle starting at the end with the filling. Don't roll too tightly, be sure to keep the filling inside the noodle.
- Position the noodle in the prepared baking dish with the seam side facing down.
- Once done, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, top with half of the remaining parmesan and place the baking dish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley, more parmesan cheese, and serve immediately.