This recipe is all about taking the simple peanut butter cookie to the next level. Have you ever experienced one of those moments when you’re craving something sweet and a simple cookie won’t do? Me too! So, I thought I would take some peanut butter cookies that I had baked previously, and make cookie sandwiches with the most decadent frosting I could possibly muster up.
You may have already read my post about the classic peanut butter oatmeal cookie. If not, you can find out how to make them here: Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. The focus of this post will be the peanut butter chocolate butter cream frosting. Now, everyone knows how to make a basic butter cream frosting, however, the peanut butter cookies that I had on hand, needed some chocolate as well. And while I was in the process, I thought I would up the peanut butter intensity as well by added peanut butter to the butter cream mixture.
I was on a cookie-baking kick the day I made this recipe. John.e and I were invited to a colleagues cottage for the day and I was tasked with bringing veggie burgers (because John.e was the only vegetarian in attendance), dessert of some sort, and diet coke (because I was the only diet coke drinker).
To totally impress, and to satisfy everyone’s tastes, I brought four or five different types of cookies to the cottage. As usual, I over packed and over prepared. Even though everyone had a cookie or two, there were still many left over. Gladly, I didn’t have to bring any back home with me because the other guests all split up the leftovers and took them on their merry way.
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and peanut butter until well blended and creamy
- Add the vanilla extract and blend well into the mixture
- Add the cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar
- With the mixer on low speed, incorporate the cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar into the mixture
- Once the cocoa and sugar have been blended into the butter mixture, continue to mix on high speed until fully incorporated