This recipe is all about taking the simple peanut butter cookie to the next level. Have you ever experienced one of those moments when you’re craving something sweet and a simple cookie won’t do? Me too! So, I thought I would take some peanut butter cookies that I had baked previously, and make cookie sandwiches with the most decadent frosting I could possibly muster up.
You may have already read my post about the classic peanut butter oatmeal cookie. If not, you can find out how to make them here: Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies. The focus of this post will be the peanut butter chocolate butter cream frosting. Now, everyone knows how to make a basic butter cream frosting, however, the peanut butter cookies that I had on hand, needed some chocolate as well. And while I was in the process, I thought I would up the peanut butter intensity as well by added peanut butter to the butter cream mixture.
I was on a cookie-baking kick the day I made this recipe. John.e and I were invited to a colleagues cottage for the day and I was tasked with bringing veggie burgers (because John.e was the only vegetarian in attendance), dessert of some sort, and diet coke (because I was the only diet coke drinker).
To totally impress, and to satisfy everyone’s tastes, I brought four or five different types of cookies to the cottage. As usual, I over packed and over prepared. Even though everyone had a cookie or two, there were still many left over. Gladly, I didn’t have to bring any back home with me because the other guests all split up the leftovers and took them on their merry way.
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies with Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and peanut butter until well blended and creamy
- Add the vanilla extract and blend well into the mixture
- Add the cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar
- With the mixer on low speed, incorporate the cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar into the mixture
- Once the cocoa and sugar have been blended into the butter mixture, continue to mix on high speed until fully incorporated