Wow – did I ever have fun making these Monster Cereal Treats! Who knew melting coloured chocolate candy melts could be so much fun!
I had purchased large boxes of Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and Pretzels about a week ago to make a Dill Pickle Ranch Chex Mix and I had so much left over.
A recent trip to the baking section of my favourite bulk store had me itching to make something fun and crazy for an after school treat for McKenna. And, these were an absolute hit! And, they weren’t only for her, I did sneak two of the orange monsters – mostly because I love the saltiness of the pretzel with the sweetness of the chocolate candy melts!
You could certainly choose different colours of the candy melts for your Monster Cereal Treats! And add-ins are really only limited to your imagination! Try adding peanuts or chocolate chips, dried cranberries, raisins, or blueberries. Shredded coconut would make a great topping instead of the candy sprinkles as well!
Let your imagination run wild with these. After all, these Monster Cereal Treats are not for the serious-minded; these are most certainly for the kid in you. (But, we are just going to say they’re an after school treat, for the sake of argument. Shhhhh!)
- 2 cups pretzel sticks, broken in half
- 2 cups whole grain Cheerios Cereal
- 2 cups whole grain Rice Krispies Cereal
- 2 cups orange chocolate candy melts
- 2 cups green chocolate candy melts
- 2 cups purple chocolate candy melts
- Candy sprinkles (optional)
- Candy eyes (optional)
- Begin by preparing a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Next, melt the chocolate (one colour at a time) and once melted and completely smooth, stir in the pretzels, or one of the cereals. (You could totally get creative and change up the colours of the candy melts of use a cereal of your own choosing!)
- Use a tablespoon to drop mounds of the mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top with candy sprinkles and candy eyes if you so desire.
- Repeat these steps with each coloured candy melt and cereal combo you can think of!
- Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator for half hour to set.