Ah, yes, Doritos chips used to be one of my favourite snack foods – used to be! Don’t tell the Dorito mafia, but for the last two or three years, I’ve been spending my hard-earned money on Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar Mrs. Vickie’s chips. From time to time though, I do reach for the shiny blue Doritos Cool Ranch bag instead. To be honest, whenever my daughter is visiting, that’s usually when Doritos finds its way back into my grocery cart!
We’ve been trying to eat healthier, but we really are not too keen on foregoing all of the good stuff in favour of six pack abs. (As if!) We regularly purchase the Three Sisters brand of popcorn and often snack on that rather than chips. There’s this one great bag of 5 varieties of popping corn all mixed together in one bag! It’s our favourite. You might be like I once was and not know that there are so many varieties of popping corn, but do yourself a favour and get some of these! The bag that we buy is quite large and lasts quite a while. It consists of strawberry red, shamu blue, purple passion, white hull-less, and traditional. They are organic and GMO free! You can order them online here: Nature’s Cargo
Trying to eat healthy does not mean that you can eat all of the popcorn you want – unless you eat it plain, but who does that!? Try to avoid the salt and butter drench popcorn and season your popcorn instead. With this Doritos Cool Ranch flavoured topping, you can avoid the butter completely and cut down on the sodium, because of the reduced salt.
Everyone has a pantry with spices and herbs just sitting there waiting to be used up. Well, experiment with those jars of spices and whip up seasonings which can be used on things such as popcorn or on chicken or fish. If you have a pre-mix seasoning, you might be more inclined to use it rather than searching through a cupboard full of spice jars, some which you haven’t used in a very long time. (By the way, throw those out! I never keep spices longer than 6 months. Avoid buying spices and herbs by the jar and go to bulk stores instead. Buy only what you need, this way, you’re guaranteed fresher taste and better quality.)
Enough about stale spices, let’s get back to this delicious popcorn!
- Popping Corn
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons dried chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil spray
- Measure the following ingredients into a food processor - nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley, dried chives, and salt.
- Pulse until the ingredients have formed a cohesive powder.
- Pop the corn and lay the popped corn out in a singe layer on a baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the popped corn with vegetable oil - very lightly - do not over saturate with the oil!
- Sprinkle the popped corn with the seasoning.
- Continue to spray and sprinkle until you have finished the amount of popcorn your need for your snack.
- Leftover seasoning can be stored safely in a mason jar for up to two months.