When it comes to salads, freshness is the key factor. Wouldn’t you agree? If you’re much like me, a salad should be filling and tasty. That’s really all I need to make a salad a meal. And this, Dear Reader, is just that – a simple salad with fresh ingredients, very little fat and lots of taste!
For me, chopping and dicing vegetables is completely therapeutic. I love it – I’m serious! It’s relaxing; just me, a sharp knife, and my thoughts. Wait… that sounded much better in my head; seeing it written out like that makes it seem… I don’t know… dangerous?
Rest assured, Dear Reader, my thoughts while chopping go something like this: I wonder if I should add any other flavours to this? Maybe some fresh herbs? Speaking of herbs, I need to transplant the herbs growing on my window sill. But, first, I need to get some new potting soil. Should I use the same pots? Maybe they would look better in the china cabinet. But, first, I need to empty the cabinet out and reorganize it. I should do that this weekend. I can’t this weekend; we are out of town. Oh! I have to pick up a gift before we go. I wonder what I should get him? I’ll ask John.e what he thinks. Okay… so the veggies are all chopped. What was I going to do with this salad? Oh, yes, fresh herbs! Lord, I have to get these herbs transplanted. They’re going to be dead soon.
See? Not a danger to anyone at all – except to the poor herbs! I digress!
While I fix my window sill garden situation, you go ahead and make yourself this salad. Please be warned, it’s a delicious and very good for you. And, it makes a delicious summer barbeque dish too!
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into mini florets
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into mini florets
- 2 medium-sized cucumbers, sliced lengthwise, seeds scooped; remaining flesh diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup 1% sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- Prepare all of the ingredients as per the instructions above. Place all ingredients into a large bowl and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour before eating. Serve chilled.