If you’re in the market for an easy dip with loads of flavour, look no further! This cheddar cheese dip with the flavours of green onions and garlic, along with the slight tang from a little mayonnaise will most certainly please. I made this dip for two friends of ours who introduced us to the wonderful world of Mahjong!
Have you every played Mahjong? No, not the match-the-tiles computer game, (that’s all I ever knew Mahjong to be!) but the complicated, spell-binding, rule-filled, table-top game using actual tiles. I might have just turned you off completely, but please, Dear Reader, trust me – Mahjong is certainly a great game to get into. I was completely captivated, and it had nothing to do with the fact that I was the night’s winner. No, I’m serious; I’m not competitive! I’m not!!
John.e has known Suelen for quite some time; they have both lived in the building we call home for many years. I have been here for only three years, and Leslie, our other key player, has been here for about as long as I have. It’s a small building and everyone pretty much knows everyone else, but these two ladies are extra special. Suelen actually was a part of the membership and welcome committee that initially interviewed me before I was accepted as a member to the building. And Leslie and I have both spent time on the social and newsletter committees.
After a dim sum lunch date with Suelen and some of her friends a few weeks back to celebrate Chinese New Year, we were invited to a Mahjong game night. But, first we needed to learn the ropes. Suelen and Leslie offered to do just that, so we invited them to our apartment for Mahjong and finger food. This dip was one of the items we served.
Another Mahjong game night is being planned, but first, I had to get through Oscar night! 🙂 Here’s the dip recipe!
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, cream the cream cheese using a hand-held mixer. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Mix in the mayo and the sour cream, along with the black pepper and garlic. Mix well.
- Use a wooden spoon to fold into the cream cheese mixture the grated cheddar cheese and the green onions. Mix well to fully incorporate all ingredients.
- Transfer to a food-safe container and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Before serving, remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.