Don’t let this nonsensical name fool you! The Woo Woo Cosmo Cocktail is not only fun to say, but is deliciously flavourful! With its beautiful, deep red colour, and its intoxicating scent, this is a cocktail recipe you might want to commit to memory, because you will want to make it over and over again!
As I was leafing through one of my mixology cookbooks, I stumbled upon this beautiful cocktail. I have to be honest though, it wasn’t the beauty of the drink that caught my eye first, it was the name of it. I read it to be a celebratory expression, but that wasn’t right, now was it!? It’s Woo Woo, not Woot Woot!
Woot is to shout in celebration, especially when someone is happy about something – much like at a sporting event. Woo is what one does to get someone’s attention. You’ve heard the expressions before, I’m sure of it! “He’s trying to win her over by wooing her with gifts.” Or, “She’s wooing him with her good looks and fluttering lashes.”
So, I guess that is what this drink is doing to all of us. It’s wooing us, beckoning us to take just one sip, before winning us over with it’s bold, fruity flavours, and it’s sweet playfulness. I’ve succumbed to the temptation of the Woo Woo; will you? (Did I just Dr. Seuss that?)
A quick Google search tells me that the Woo Woo is a fruity American-originated cocktail. It is considered by mixologists to be a cross between as Cosmopolitan and a Hairy Navel. The Woo Woo is made with vodka, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice. Easy, right?
The cocktail can be prepared by shaking it in a cocktail shaker, or by stirring it in a glass. Typically, it was served in a whiskey or shot glass, but I think this drink is way to sexy to not be on a pedestal. That’s why I choose to showcase my version of the Woo Woo Cosmo Cocktail in a martini glass!
The story goes that although the Woo Woo is a popular cocktail, its origins are somewhat murky. There are many who believe that the cocktail was concieved in the First Edition bay in Bayside, New York. By the way, the bar has since closed its doors. They say that every time the New York Mets would score, the bartender would shout “woo woo” and hand out a round of these cocktails. Maybe he meant woot woot?
WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR THIS DRINK:
- Vodka – Vodka is a clear, unaged spirit produced using any ingredient that has fermentable sugars such as rye, barley, or wheat. It can also be made with potatoes, grapes, or beets too. In its purest form, Vodka is colourless, odourless, and flavourless. But, there are many variations, most commonly vodkas infused with citrus or berries.
- Peach Schnapps – This is a type of water-clear, distilled spirit. It is made by fermenting fruit juice with a base. It adds a very peachy flavour and scent to mixed drinks. If you have ever opened a can of syrupy peaches and took a deep sniff, that sugary, peachy goodness is captured in a bottle of Peach Schnapps.
- Cranberry Juice – A purest will tell you to buy only pure, 100% cranberry juice. You can listen to them, or you can listen to me. I’ve made many recipes with cranberry juice, and I have substituted that juice many times with cranberry cocktail. Wanna know a secret? They both work the same way, and taste almost the same anyway. Bonus – the cocktail version is usually cheaper too!
HOW TO MAKE A WOO WOO COSMO COCKTAIL:
To prepare a Woo Woo Cosmo Cocktail, measure the vodka, peach schnapps, and cranberry juice into a cocktail shaker. Add enough ice to cover the liquid. Shake until the mix is really cold – about 30 seconds. Pour the cold mix into a chilled martini glass serve immediately. And, don’t forget to check out my Bachelor’s Bait Cocktail – it is equally delicious!
Woo Woo Cosmo Cocktail
- 1 3/4 ounces vodka
- 1 3/4 ounces peach schnapps
- 3 1/2 ounces cranberry juice
- Measure all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake for 30 seconds to chill.
- Pour into a chilled martini glass and serve immediately.