Unicorn everything is all the rage right now and these Unicorn Poop Cookies are much more delicious than the name suggests! Thick, chewy, sweet, chocolaty, and delightfully purple, these cookies will be a hit with both the young and old in your life!
I can’t possibly think of a better way to bring a smile to the face of a teenager. My teenager, McKenna, is loving the unicorn trend. We celebrated her 14th birthday a while ago, and everything was unicorn. We had a unicorn ice cream cake from Dairy Queen, all of her sleepover guests were gifted a unicorn t-shirt and a unicorn mug.
Presents from her friends, along with those from John.e and me, were mostly unicorn themed. There was pink, purple, and glitter everywhere!
If you’re the parent of teenager like me, you’ll no doubt know that sometimes it’s hard to get them to smile. McKenna is not much like that – she’s a great kid with a fantastic sense of humour. She’s always making me laugh. But, even though she’s always cheerful, I still like to surprise her from time to time with a little festive treat.
I’ve been packing these Unicorn Poop Cookies in her lunch bag for school, just so that she is aware of the fact that I’m putting in an effort to let her know that I think of her and love her. Truth be told, she’s easy to love, because she’s just so awesome! #notbiased #mykidisgreat
Unlike most cookie recipes you’ll find of this nature, I thought about making my version unique. The whole notion of unicorns is that they are mystical, pretty, magical, and different. In addition to the texture being chewy and “puffy,” I wanted the flavour of the cookie to not taste like your basic chocolate chip cookie. Therefore, I decided to use mint extract in the batter rather than the usual vanilla extract.
When you bite into one of these delights, you are instantly surprised by the burst of minty flavour – because that’s how unicorn poop would taste, right? (Don’t answer that!)
When all is said and done, Unicorn Poop Cookies are whimsical and fun. I had a blast making these cookies, because I love to bake with lots of colour and candies. Who doesn’t? By far, one of the most enjoyable recipes to get your little ones involved with. I can’t think of a single kid who wouldn’t love to get their hands into this cookie batter; can you?
Now, don’t get me wrong, Dear Reader, Unicorn Poop Cookies are not just for the kids in your life. Trust me, John.e has eaten his fair share of these as well!
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later! Click HERE!
Unicorn Poop CookiesPin Recipe Print Recipe
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup candy sprinkles, unicorn inspired colours – pink, blue, purple, yellow, etc.
- 1 cup mini candy coated chocolate chips, various colours
- 1/4 teaspoon Wilton purple food colouring
- 1/4 cup course white sugar
- 1/4 cup course pink sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat liner and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and beat into the mixture.
- Next, beat in the mint extract, food colouring, and salt.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. On low speed, allow the wet ingredients to slowly incorporate the dry.
- Next, stir in the candy sprinkles and mini candy coated chocolate chips.
- In a small, shallow bowl, mix together the pink and white course sugar. Set aside.
- Use a small scoop to portion the cookie dough. Roll the tops of the cookie dough mounds into the sugar mixture.
- Place the cookie dough onto the baking sheet and bake for exactly 12 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
Are you making this recipe? Show me your version! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook! @lordbyronskitchen | #lordbyronskitchen