Looking for a super easy and delicious appetizer or party platter finger food? Sweet and Spicy Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots are perfect for every type of event. The most beginner of home cooks can master these bad boys and reap the reward of praise!
Bacon and tater tots.
Bacon wrapped around tater tots.
Bacon that has been seasoned with brown sugar and cayenne pepper, and then wrapped around a tater tot, and then baked in the oven.
Bacon and tater tots that have been baked in the oven, and then served with a ranch-flavoured dipping sauce.
I could stop right here and not write another word, because truth be told, Dear Reader, there’s nothing more to say. Wait, not that there’s nothing more to say, but that there’s really nothing more that needs to be said.
A few weeks ago, my local grocery store had bacon on sale. I never buy bacon! Maybe once a year and when I do, I always buy the really thick cut bacon with the peppercorn crust on it. But, that particular cut of bacon wasn’t on sale. It was just regular old bacon. And, because I find it extremely difficult to pass up a sale, I grabbed two packages and headed home.
So now I was faced with what to do with the bacon. Sure, I could fry it all up and serve it with some eggs and toast. Or I could make a bacon and tomato sandwich. Or I could make a coffee, sit in my favourite armchair, and scroll through my Pinterest feed for inspiration. (If I’m not at work, not cooking or baking, not writing these posts, not cleaning or taking care of other chores, not bingeing on Netflix, or not crocheting, then I can be found with a coffee and my iPad, which only ever has one app open – Pinterest.)
Coffee and Pinterest won me over and I sat in my comfy chair and typed ‘bacon’ into the search field. Within the first two or three minutes of scrolling, I saw so many recipes for bacon-wrapped food. There was bacon-wrapped pork, potatoes, corn, asparagus, etc. But, the one that stood out the most, was the bacon wrapped tater tots. I knew I had to have them, and for the first time in my entire life, I bought a package of frozen tater tots.
Sometimes, I feel a surge of guilt when I consider placing recipes like this on my blog. It’s not really a recipe, now is it? There’s basically no skill needed to make Sweet and Spicy Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots, and the instructions are basic. Anyone with a little cooking experience under their belt can look at these photographs and easily pull this appetizer together. But, since they were so delicious, and I did make the sauce, I thought, why not!? There’s got to be someone out there who can use a recipe that’s short and sweet like this one.
Since you have so few ingredients in this recipe, try to use the best bacon you can find and even though I am not well versed in tater tot-ology, I beg of you to please buy brand name tater tots or a brand that you trust. And when all is said and done, and these come out of the oven, let them cool for a minute or two while you run to put on your track pants or yoga pants or no pants at all! Because, I dare you, Dear Reader, try eating just one!
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later!
Sweet and Spicy Bacon Wrapped Tater TotsPin Recipe Print Recipe
For the Tots:
- 24 tater tots, slightly thawed at room temperature
- 12 slices low-sodium Canadian bacon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup 5% sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Start by making the sauce. Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- When ready to make the tater tots, start by preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the brown sugar and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Lay 12 slices of bacon on a large cutting board. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over each slice of bacon and using your finger tips, lightly press the brown sugar mixture so that it sticks to the bacon.
- Run a sharp knife horizontally across the 12 slices of bacon to create 24 even slices.
- Place a tater tot at the end of one slice of bacon and firmly, but gently, roll the bacon around the tater tot. Secure by piercing the bacon and tater tot with a toothpick.
- Place the bacon-wrapped tater tots on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn each tater tot over and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, garnish if you desire, and serve with the dipping sauce.
Are you making this recipe? Show me your version! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
@lordbyronskitchen | #lordbyronskitchen
All access to Lord Byron’s Kitchen! Never miss another recipe! Follow me on social media: