If you’re looking for a healthier chicken with the same crunch and flavour as fried chicken, Seasoned Panko Crusted Baked Chicken Drumsticks is the answer! Easy to prepare, with common pantry ingredients, these drumsticks are sure to satisfy that fried chicken craving.
I’m coming back to the party with more chicken drumsticks. Whenever I decide to cook anything non-vegetarian at home, chicken drumsticks are usually my go-to. There’s a few reasons why that is the case. First, no one can argue with the fact that they are probably the most cost-effective form of meat you can buy. Where I live, I can buy a family package, which usually consists of at least 12 drumsticks, for about five dollars.
Next, they are extremely versatile. They hold up well to baking or frying; sauces or no sauces, seasoning them is easy, because they are considered dark meat, which to me has always been more flavourful anyway.
That then, leads into my third reason: they are more flavourful then chicken breasts. I tend to favour meat that is cooked on a bone. It tends to stay more moist when cooking. And, lastly, you can easily pick one up in each hand, because they have perfectly built-in handles. 😉
When I was little, my mom worked seasonally, which meant that dinners had to be quick and easy. During peak seasons, she might have to work 16 hours with only an hour or two in between to tend to us three kids and get some rest. Shake and Bake was one of those easy meals she could prepare without all of the fuss. I have modeled these chicken drumsticks after the taste and ease of Shake and Bake.
If you’re a child of the seventies, like me, you’ll certainly remember the Shake and Bake commercials! My favourite was the one with the little girl who exclaimed to her dad as he came home from work “It’s Shake and Bake; and I helped!” That southern accent was so damn cute and obviously, super memorable!
Probably the easiest thing you’ll do today, this recipe is just perfect and I assure you, both you and your dinner table attendees will love it!
If you don’t have panko on hand, I’m sure you could substitute it with regular bread crumbs and the taste would be just as good. I prefer to use panko because the size of the crumb is larger, which results in a crunchier texture.
Seasoned Panko Crusted Baked Chicken DrumsticksPin Recipe SaveSaved! Print Recipe
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the vegetable oil. Use a whisk to be sure the ingredients are all combined well. Set aside.
- Wash the chicken drumsticks in cold water; do not dry them.
- Roll each drumstick into the crumb mixture, and carefully transfer each piece to the baking sheet. Do no discard the leftover crumbs.
- Lightly spray the drumsticks with the vegetable oil.
- Bake, loosely covered with aluminum foil for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top each drumstick with some of the leftover crumb mixture. Spray once again, quite liberally with the vegetable oil.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven, this time uncovered for another 45 minutes.