Pumpkin Spice Biscotti – or any biscotti for that matter – has got to be one of those things that people either love or hate; wouldn’t you agree?
I’m not really what one would call a stranger to a biscotti, but to be completely honest, I hadn’t tried one until maybe four or five years ago. I always felt like what was the point? Why would I want to gnaw on a hard cookie when I could have a soft, chewy cookie?
My thoughts were completely changed when I gave in and tried one; it was a gingerbread biscotti that I devoured with a hot cup of coffee one Saturday afternoon after a long day of Christmas shopping.
Now, with it being pumpkin season and all, I couldn’t resist making a Pumpkin Spice version of that same recipe from years back. The pumpkin spice was just the right amount to satisfy that autumn comfort food flavour we all crave, and the drizzled dark chocolate on top provided just the right amount of sweet. By the way, you can find my homemade pumpkin spice blend right here. (It’s from the Pioneer Woman!)
If you’re like I once was, and biscotti is not really your thing, I highly encourage you to try this particular flavour. Pour yourself a nice hot cup of coffee or tea, whichever you prefer, and sit back and enjoy. I can’t think of a better way to read a book or flip through a magazine than with a biscotti near by and a hot beverage in hand.
Can I confess something else? Maybe I’m too influenced by media, but I tend to believe that a biscotti is one of those cookies you should enjoy alone. You know what I mean? You see those people who sit in Starbucks with their lattes and a scone, cookie, or loaf, and they seem to be completely unaware of what’s happening around them. They have their heads buried in their laptops or their books. That’s how I imagine one should be when eating a biscotti. (I have got to stop people gazing when I pick up my latte to go!)
Pumpkin Spice BiscottiPin Recipe Save RecipeSaved! Print Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand held mixer to beat together the egg, sugar, and baking powder.
- Next, add in the pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat to incorporate.
- Use a spatula to carefully fold in the flour until just incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and shape the dough into a flat log; the log should measure roughly 3x8 inches.
- Bake for 40 minutes and remove from the oven. Lower the temperature of your oven to 300 degrees.
- Allow the log to cool down for at least 20 minutes. Then, carefully slice across the log using a serrated knife; cut into half inch slices.
- Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet and return them to the oven for 15 minutes; turn the slices over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Once completely cooled, melt the dark chocolate chips and drizzle over the biscotti.
- Place in the refrigerator to firm up. Store in an air-tight container.