Sometimes cookies are dainty, and sometimes they are thick, hearty, and filling – much like these Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Cookies! Trust me, you only need one of these to satisfy your cookie craving!
I have a new-found love of coconut and it shows in these awesome oatmeal coconut chocolate cookies! I can’t get enough of it since discovering the goodness that is coconut flavoured Greek yogurt! Even though this cookie has no Greek yogurt, it does have a double dose of coconut with both shredded sweetened coconut and coconut oil. These cookies a deliciously chewy and not too bad for your diet either – as long as you stick to only one!
Truth be told, you shouldn’t have much of an issue eating only one of these bad boys. They are so thick and hearty; it’s like eating a granola bar in cookie format, but only much, much, much more tastier! I hope I’m not scaring you with the size of these. I love an over-sized cookie, but you can make the cookies smaller by using a smaller amount of batter when baking.
Coconut tends to be a little on the costly side, but it’s worth it if you consider the health benefits associated with it. I recently read in an article that it is being classified as a super food. You can Google the health benefits of coconut oil, because to be quite honest, there’s just way too many to list here, and I’m not qualified to determine what is an accurate benefit or just internet hype. 😉
For me, it’s all about the taste. And, when using coconut oil in baking – especially in this cookie recipe – the taste most definitely can be found! There’s really nothing like the taste of coconut. It’s by far one of my favourite comfort smells. It reminds me of Saturday mornings when my mom would do her weekly baking. She was such a big fan of coconut. I guess I inherited that from her!
My childhood was never void of treats like this. Every single Saturday without fail, my mom would make cookies, cakes, or bars. It was a must in her eyes. Sunday dinner was just not complete without a tray of cookies, a cheesecake, or a pie of some sort. It was usually a lemon meringue pie or a coconut cream pie, which was her favourite.
The cookies and bars always had coconut in them. She loved baking with it. In fact, many of the cookies you can find on this site are her original recipes or a variation of the cookies and bars she used to prepare for us as kids.
If you’re interested, you should check out my Coconut Square Chewies, or these Walnut Oh Henry Bars, or my favourite – Lemon Coconut Macaroons! These three recipes, along with the recipe for Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Cookies will surely fix your coconut craving!
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Cookies make a great addition to a lunch bag and also a great after workout snack. With the coconut oil, oatmeal, and chocolate in these cookies, they could be considered a great alternative to a store-bought granola bar. They also keep very well in a food safe container just on the kitchen counter for up to four days. If you can’t imagine yourself eating them that quickly, you can easily freeze them as well.
If I were going to freeze them, I would wrap each cookie individually in parchment paper and stuff them into a large Ziploc bag. That way, I could easily reach into the freezer, grab a cookie, throw it in my lunch bag or my back pack and go.
I don’t know about you, but most days – right around two o’clock in the afternoon, that’s when I experience my daily crash. These Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Cookies are just the thing I need to give me a little energy boost to be able to productively finish up my workday.
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later! Click HERE!
Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Cookies
- ¾ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the coconut oil and both sugars until a creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Incorporate into the sugar mixture.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon; mix well.
- Add in the oats, coconut, and chocolate chips; fold into the mixture.
- Using a two-tablespoon sized cookie/ice cream scoop, drop the batter on a lined cookie sheet leaving space for expansion while baking. (I placed four rows of three on a large baking sheet.)
- Once the dough is in place, slightly flatten with the palm of your hand. At this point, you can add 4 or 5 extra chocolate chips on top of each cookie before baking. This is completely optional.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for two minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Are you making this recipe? Show me your version! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook! @lordbyronskitchen | #lordbyronskitchen