Is there really anything as good as food which has been prepared on a grill in the great outdoors? If there is, I’ve yet to find it!
We are fortunate to have spent a weekend at a friend’s cottage which allowed us some time for a little rest and relaxation. R&R for John.e involves a little whittling and reading. For me, it involves three weeks of menu prep and planning before the cottage getaway, and taking full advantage of having a grill at my fingertips.
I knew I had to prepare this recipe while we were at the cottage. I absolutely love tomatoes and cream cheese is really my best friend. Being able to obtain a grilled, smoky flavour was something I couldn’t resist. This dish was the first of 6 or 7 recipes I prepared using the grill that particular weekend. All for you, Dear Reader! 😉
Tomatoes are always readily available, but if you can find some locally grown produce, please do yourself a favour and do so. In my neck of the woods, local tomatoes are everywhere right now. I found these lovely red and yellow cherry tomatoes at my local store. I couldn’t wait to try them. They were perfect for this recipe! After all, we eat with our eyes first, right?
If you can’t find yellow tomatoes, don’t worry about it. Classic red will be just a pretty and will most certainly taste as good. Happy grilling!
Grilled Tomato CrostiniPin Recipe Print Recipe
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup cream cheese, whipped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, cut into ½ inch slices
- If using wooden skewers, submerge the skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, thyme, salt and pepper with a whisk.
- Wash and dry the tomatoes and add them to the marinade; toss to coat. Set aside for 15-20 minutes to allow the marinade to infuse the tomatoes.
- Pierce the desired number of tomatoes on the skewers. Save the marinade! I placed 6 tomatoes on each skewer and alternating them by colour.
- With the grill on medium heat, place the skewers on direct heat. Grill for 3 minutes on each side; remove from the heat and set aside.
- Using leftover marinade, lightly brush the bread. Lay the bread on the grill to toast.
- Spread the cream cheese onto the bread and top with the desired amount of grilled tomatoes.
- Serve immediately.