With the help of M&M candy and a cookie press, these spritz cookies look very much like a fall flower arrangement when piled high onto a serving plate.
Dear Reader, it’s time to bring back the cookie spritzer again. I really think it’s important to showcase the versatility of a cookie press!
Unlike the Pumpkin Spice Spritz Cookie that I posted a few weeks ago, this particular cookie relies heavily on the candy in the middle to give it its flavour.
The dough for this cookie is very much like a sugar cookie dough, or a shortbread cookie dough. It has a very subtle buttery sweetness. It’s very tender and flaky; and perfectly bite-sized.
The Pumpkin Spice Spritz Cookie incorporates pumpkin spice seasoning and pumpkin spice extract. This particular cookie does not have those strong flavours.
For this recipe, I used the Cocoa Crisp M&Ms. I think are only available in the fall – more specifically, Halloween. But truth be told, you can use any flavour of M&M you like!
In the United States, M&Ms come in all colours and varities. We are limited to maybe four types here in Canada. Whenever I go shopping across the border, I always pick up a few bags of M&Ms. Especially those that we can’t source here in Canada – the Cocoa Crisps being one of them.
I wanted to use fall colours. You can use other M&M flavours such as Coffee Nut. Or try the Mint or Jalapeno – yes, there’s a Jalapeno flavoured M&M! Surprisingly, I did not like the taste of the Jalapeno M&M, but John.e polished off the entire bag!
There is no doubt in my mind that I will make these again at Christmastime. Or at the least, as soon as they release the red and green seasonal M&Ms. In fact, I’ll probably make them for every occasion now. Why not? You can find M&Ms for almost every occasion – or so it seems!
What this M&M talk all boils down to is this: This Fall Flower Spritz Cookies is bound to be one of your favourites. First of all, there’s very little you need in terms of ingredients. Secondly, you can customize the shape of the cookie and the type of candy center you choose.
And, lastly, just about everyone I know has a cookie press or spritz somewhere in the back of a kitchen drawer. It’s time to fetch it, put aside the smartphones and whatnot, and have some baking fun with the kids!
Fall Flower Spritz Cookies
- Cookie Spritz or Cookie Press
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces M&M candy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until well combined – about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and the vanilla extract. Beat into the butter and sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture and beat until just combined.
- Load the cookie dough into a cookie press which has been fitted with the disc of your choosing.
- Press the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1 inch of space between each cookie.
- Top the middle of each pressed cookie with one M&M candy. Press the candy just slightly into the dough.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.