This dish has everything a good traditional breakfast needs – eggs, meat, and bread. Egg and Sausage Breakfast Rolls are delicious, easy, and fun too! It’s as simple as hollowing out rolls, filling them with egg, sausage, and cheese, before baking them until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Sounds delicious, right?
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Rolls are so much fun to make. That could be just me, of course, because I love to bake and cook. And, I love to eat even more! Egg and Sausage Breakfast Rolls are not only fun to make, but fun to eat as well!
These gorgeous rolls are packed with all kinds of delicious ingredients. There’s ground sausage, which is one of my favourite things in the world. If you want to make these vegetarian, you can easily substitute the ground sausage with vegetarian sausage crumbles. You can easily find vegetarian sausage in the frozen foods section at Walmart.
In addition to sausage, there’s also eggs, onion, red bell peppers, and cheese. Doesn’t that sound amazing? At first, I wasn’t going to add the red bell peppers. But, the rolls needed a bit more flavour. The bell pepper and green onion added a freshness and brightness.
When it comes to the type of bread you use, you do have some options. I choose these elongated crusty bread rolls. Adding the egg in liquid form would be rather risky should I have chosen a softer crust. I didn’t want to risk the egg running through. That would have been quite the mess!
The bread choice is up to you. But, choose a bread roll that will allow you to keep the rolls in individual portions. I think this dish looks much more appealing and delicious when served whole rather than being served sliced or quartered.
Note that the egg is just a tad bit lower than the top of the hole in the bread. This was also intentional. If you overfill the bread hole with the egg mixture, you’ll risk having the egg spill over the top when the egg inflates during the baking process. The gap also leaves room for more cheese – which is never a bad thing!
So, what if you don’t care for sausage? Well, you can certainly add bacon. Just fry the bacon, drain it well and allow it to cool. Crumble or chop it up and mix it into the egg mixture like you would if you were using sausage.
You can use ground beef, ground pork, or ground chicken too. If you don’t care for red bell pepper, use green, or leave it out entirely. It will change the taste slightly. But, it’s better to have a breakfast roll that has been prepared according to your likes.
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Rolls are another great prepare-ahead meal option. You can easily prepare the filling a day or two before. Fill the bread bowls when you’re ready to bake. If you plan to prepare the filling ahead of time, keep the egg mixture separate. Mixing it all together will result in the red pepper colour bleeding into the egg mixture. Your bright yellow egg colour will not be as pretty.
If you have any leftovers, allow the Egg and Sausage Breakfast Roll to completely cool. Wrap the roll in parchment paper and then in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped roll into a Ziploc bag and freeze. To re-heat, remove from bag and remove the aluminum foil. Place in the microwave for a minute or two and enjoy.
Otherwise, you can remove from the freezer, allow to thaw on your counter for an hour. Remove the aluminum foil and parchment paper. Spread the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 whole green onions, finely sliced, plus more for garnish
- 5 large bread rolls
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the olive oil and ground sausage to a large skillet and fry over medium heat just until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in the onions and red peppers and continue to cook until the onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and allow the sausage and onion mixture to cool completely.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- With a sharp knife, cut a hole into the top of the bread, being careful not to puncture the bottom or the sides. Keep the crust intact. With your fingers, remove the soft bread inside to create a deep well. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, green onion, salt, pepper, and one cup of the cheddar cheese. Make sure the sausage and onion mixture has cooled. Add it to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the hollowed out bread rolls onto the prepared baking sheet and pour the egg and sausage mixture into the rolls, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and evenly distribute the remaining half cup of cheddar cheese over the bread rolls. Place them back into your oven for another 10 minutes.
- If you notice that the bread is getting too brown, you can cover them with aluminum foil to prevent further browning.
- Plate and garnish with more finely sliced green onions. Serve with fruit salad.