A few months back, I was on a cauliflower kick, but then for some reason, I moved on to another main ingredient. I think that was my chicken wing faze! But then, I found this recipe by Pinch of Yum, and I had to try it! So, these Cauliflower Brown Rice Meatballs brought back my love for cauliflower.
I don’t really care if you’re a vegetarian or not, truth be told, anyone will love these meatballs! They are packed full of flavour, which, by the way, you could totally change up. If an Italian style, which is what I made, is not your thing, you can switch out the spices for other spices. Just be sure to keep the cauliflower, brown rice, and egg ratios the same and you should be fine.
Pinch of Yum suggested frying the meatballs, but I decided to bake them instead. I just put them all on a large baking sheet with a little oil and let them go. I have nothing against frying them if you prefer, but it was so hot when I made these and I just didn’t want to stand over a fryer. #wakemeupwhensummerends
These little guys are super versatile too! I baked them off like you see in the pics and then waited for them to cool. I transferred them to food safe containers and placed them in the refrigerator. As you might know by now, Sunday night is pasta night in our home. I made the sauce up and added the meatballs for the last 20-30 minutes or so just to heat them through.
You could also put them in a masala sauce like Pinch of Yum did with theirs. Or what about a simple marinara, some mozzarella, and a good crusty bun? Now I’m getting hungry! I’m going to go grab a snack; you go ahead and get the recipe just a little further down this page. Cheers!
Cauliflower Brown Rice MeatballsPin Recipe Save RecipeSaved! Print Recipe
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed until fork tender (should yield about three cups)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- ¾ cups panko crumbs
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a large baking sheet by coating it with a good amount of non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, puree the cauliflower and brown rice together. The mixture will be wet, don’t worry about that. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of hummus. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Be sure to mix well – a little elbow grease will do the trick!
- Use a small scoop to portion the mixture. Roll into balls using your hands. Place the balls onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Carefully turn the meatballs over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve immediately or store for later! These freeze well also!