Mashed Turnip and Carrots with Herb Butter
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Nothing compares to the rustic simplicity of Mashed Turnip and Carrots with Herb Butter. Comforting and wholesome ingredients, inexpensive and readily available, it will add a pop of colour to your plate and fill your belly with a mom-approved delicious side dish.
- 1 large turnips, peeled and diced into 1 inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
Add the turnip and carrot to a large stock pot and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Add half a teaspoon of salt and, over medium-high heat, cook the vegetables until fork tender. This should take about 30 minutes. The carrot might be cooked a few minutes before the turnip, because turnip tends to be a harder vegetable, but don't worry about overcooking the carrot.
Drain the vegetables and add the other half teaspoon of salt, the pepper, butter, thyme, parsley, and green onion.
Using a masher, mash the turnip and carrot until the consistency of mashed potatoes. Lastly, stir the mixture together to ensure even distribution of the butter and herbs. Serve immediately.