Quick to prepare weeknight meals like this Tofu Black Bean Tikka Masala Bowl is a saviour in our home. It certainly does make for a fast, easy, and healthful weeknight meal is the key to making mealtimes easier.
Leading a busy lifestyle, with a teenager and the two of us working parents, can be cause for mealtime stress. I like to alleviate weeknight mealtime stress by preparing meals on the weekend that can be easily reheated and served with a side in under 30 minutes.
Oh, did I forget to mention that both my partner, John.e, and my daughter, McKenna, are both vegetarians? Well, preparing a meal that both them and myself (the non-vegetarian) can all enjoy can be quite the challenge. But, not when it comes to Tofu Black Bean Tikka Masala Bowls. We all love this particular dish. And this dish a snap to prepare, because I will prepare the main on a Sunday and just reheat it at some point during the week for a quick, delicious dinner.
The best part is that all I need to do is cook some rice and toss the Tofu Black Bean Tikka Masala in a sauce pan to heat it through. When the rice is cooked (like, 15 minutes!) and the main has been reheated, dinner is ready. (Sometimes, John.e will cook up a batch of rice or quinoa on Sunday and that leaves me with just reheating both the rice and the main! As you know, Dear Reader, I cannot cook rice. Rice hates me.)
To pair with the tofu dish, I decided to use basmati rice, because it just screams Indian cuisine and is perfection with Tikka Masala – be it chicken or cauliflower, or even a chickpea dish! If basmati doesn’t suit your tastes, there’s no need to worry; any rice will do. Let’s face it, you’re at home, not in some all dolled up expensive restaurant. Be you! And eat it in your pajamas if you want – nobody is looking!
Since I’m focusing on getting a healthful dinner on the table after a long day at work, let’s get back to this Tofu Black Bean Tikka Masala Bowl. You’re going to love this!
- 1 350 gram package extra firm tofu, roughly cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, grated
- 1 156ml can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- Parsley for garnish
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, add the butter and let it melt. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, garam masala, brown sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the water and stir. Bring mixture to a slight boil.
- Remove from the heat. Add the milk and stir to combine. Cover and set aside.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add the vegetable oil and the tofu. Allow the tofu to cook for about 1 minute per side. Just slightly brown the tofu - do not overcook as the tofu will take on a tough, chewy texture.
- Once done, add all of the tikka masala sauce and the black beans. Stir to combine. Lower the heat to simmer. Simmer the mixture for 4-5 minutes.
- Plate and serve with chopped parsley for garnish. Enjoy!