When it comes to a sweet, tomatoey, chicken recipe, my mother is queen. This is my version. A sweet and sticky chicken is the ultimate comfort food for me. I grew up eating chicken baked this way. Fried chicken was not something my mother regularly prepared, but this type of recipe is certainly more than familiar, it’s ceremonial! As I have mentioned before, I love recipes which deliver a big bang for your buck as well as a flavour profile that has all of the elements a good dish needs with as few ingredients as possible. So, allow me to introduce you to my Sweet & Sticky Four-Ingredient Chicken Drumsticks recipe!
As previously mentioned, as a child, my mom would make chicken very similar to this, and she would pair it with homemade French fries, or rice. Remember that fried rice that came in a can with a seasoning pouch and it was all packed for sale in a square box? Dainty was the brand name! That stuff was worth its weight in gold! I used to love it!! I wonder if I still do? It’s been many, many years since I’ve eaten it! As a working mom, my mother took a lot of shortcuts. This rice was one of them!
I bet you any amount of money, if I were to ask my mom to come for a visit right now, and if I asked her what she would like me to prepare for dinner, there are only two possible answers she would give. The first would be sweet and sour meatballs; the second would be sweet and sticky chicken. And, of course I would make French fries with it, and probably sauté some peaches and cream corn with pepper and butter. Ok, I’m officially hungry!!
Before I lose all self control and eat the entire bag of Babybel cheese in front of me, I’m just going to hand the recipe over to you and let you discover how delicious and easy this chicken dish really is!
- 8-12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- 1 onion, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven-proof baking dish, which has been very lightly greased with olive oil, place the chicken drumsticks in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk together the four ingredients. Set aside.
- After the 45 minutes has passed, remove the chicken drumsticks from the oven, remove the foil, and spoon the sauce over the top of the chicken. Be sure to completely cover each drumstick.
- Place the foil back on the baking dish and return to the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the drumsticks from the oven, uncover, and return to baking for an additional 30 minutes.
- Allow to set for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!