If you’ve ever had one of those nights when you arrive home from work and you’re just too tired to cook anything, yet, you have to cook something, because you’re hungry, tired of take out (or just can’t afford it), and you’ve got other mouths at your table to feed, then no doubt you’ve often reached for pre-made pasta sauce. And, that, Dear Reader, is absolutely fine! We can’t all be perfect and sometimes the ease of grabbing a jar of pre-made sauce is just what you need to help you keep your dinner-time sanity.
But, the key word, is pre-made. If you’re much like us, you can eat sun dried tomato pesto with a spoon! Pre-making this super easy sauce will save you the hassle of having to go to the grocery store on your way home to pick up a jar, and you will not believe the difference in the taste!
I kid you not, there’s been times when we’ve had six jars of store-bought sun dried tomato pesto sauce in our pantry – for two reasons. The first reason, of course, is that we love that flavour. The second reason is that grabbing a jar of store-bought pesto, heating it through and tossing it with some cooked pasta could not be easier on a weeknight, especially after a hard, busy day at the office, and having just a few minutes to spare before you head off to a 7:30pm social committee meeting, or a membership meeting. Yes, we are those people who volunteer on committees!
Taking a few minutes – yes, I said a few minutes – to make this pesto on the weekend, will find you much happier when you go to eat it. It’s a million times better than the kind you buy in the store. It’s fresh and simple, you get to control the amount of oil and salt. And, because you live life on the edge and you’re not afraid to push the boundaries, you can add whatever you’d like to your homemade pesto – try adding chili flakes for some heat, add brined capers if you like the extra saltiness, load up on extra basil or even throw in some oregano! Be brave and fearless, Dear Reader!
- 1 270ml jar sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (do not drain)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Olive Oil
- You will need a food processor for this recipe.
- Layer the ingredients into your food processor as follows - basil leaves, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, salt, and black pepper.
- Pulse until the desired consistency is achieved. Pesto is not meant to be extra smooth, so don't over process the ingredients.
- Remove the lid and add the parmesan cheese.
- Again, pulse a few times to blend through the cheese. Check the consistency. Add more olive oil if you'd like a more wet pesto. Be careful not to add too much.
- Taste for seasoning - add extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Place in clean mason jars and store in the refrigerator until needed. Will last 7-10 days.
- When ready to use, simply heat the pesto in a sauce pan, and toss with freshly cooked pasta.
- Recipe makes 500ml of sauce.