The much hated brussels sprout is reborn with new life and pizzazz! Spicy Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts with Corn and Caramelized Onions will surely win over the most rigid hater of this humble vegetable.
If you or your loved ones are not fans of the underestimated and often overlooked brussels sprout, then I strongly suggest you try this recipe, and change your view on this very healthy and cheap vegetable alternative.
I’ve always been a lover of brussels sprouts any which way they were prepared. If you’ve been reading my posts, you might recall me stating previously that John.e, the vegetarian, is not a big fan of most vegetables, the brussels sprout being one of them.
When we started living together, I made it a goal to change his mind about certain vegetables. To date, I’ve been successful. John.e now enjoys brussels sprouts, beets, and asparagus to name only a few. Isn’t it ironic that me, the non-vegetarian, would be the one to convince him, the vegetarian, to change his point of view on certain veggies?
I often like to roast brussels sprouts with some good olive oil and salt and pepper, but this recipe came about after a little inspiration from a picture I saw somewhere online.
There are a few steps to this recipe, but they are easy steps and quite frankly, there’s really no way to mess up this particular dish. You must be patient and don’t hurry along the cooking process. Not everything in terms of culinary deliciousness is as easy as deep frying.
Spicy Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts with Corn and Caramelized Onions is worth the effort, and you’ll end up with a side dish that can easily become a main, especially if you consume a very large bowl full like we did.
I originally posted this recipe to my blog on June 1, 2015. It was most certainly time for an update. And, although the recipe itself has not changed one bit, I have updated the instructions just slightly. (I like to think that my recipe writing skills have improved over the years.)
And in any case, the photos most definitely needed new life! Lastly, as you know, Dear Reader, I’ll come up with any excuse possible to break out a skillet!
Spicy Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts with Corn and Caramelized Onions
- 4 cups brussel sprouts, washed, trimmed, and halved lengthwise
- 2 cups corn, frozen
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, over medium heat, add one tablespoon of the olive oil and one tablespoon of the butter. Allow these two ingredients to melt together.
- When the butter and oil begins to bubble, add the brussel sprouts to the pan (cut side down) and sprinkle with half the amount of salt and pepper. (Reserve the rest.)
- Once the sprouts are browned, turn them over and brown the other side. This should take about 10 minutes in total.
- Remove the sprouts from the skillet and place in a glass bowl. Set aside.
- Add the remaining butter, oil, salt and pepper; sauté the onion for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next, add the frozen corn and red pepper flakes. Stir into the onion mixture. Sauté for 5 minutes until the corn is fully heated through.
- Add the sprouts back into the pan and toss all ingredients together. Continue to cook for 5 minutes until all ingredients are fully heated and married together.
- Serve immediately.