A quick vegetarian fried rice with scrambled tofu, kale, and a little spice kick. Great for a weeknight dinner or an easy workday lunch!
Scrambled Tofu and Kale Fried Rice has to be on of the easiest dishes I’ve made in a very long time. Seriously, this entire dish comes together in less than 30 minutes. How easy is that? Just be sure to have some leftover cooked rice on hand, which in our home, is always the case.
You can use whatever kind of rice you like most for this dish. Just be sure the rice has been previously cooked and is completely cooled. For this particular dish, I used basmati rice. I tend to like the flavour of basmati more than other types of rice, and in addition, the longer grain made for a prettier looking dish in my opinion.
I’ve cooked with tofu a lot over the past four years, but I’ve never cooked it like this before. By ‘scrambling’ the tofu, you are introducing protein to your dish, but keeping the dish egg free. After all, what is fried rice without egg? No egg needed here! The yellow colour is achieved by adding a little curry powder, but you can substitute the curry powder with a little turmeric if you are not a fan of curry. I find that turmeric has no taste at all – seriously!
If you decide to use fresh kale rather than the frozen ready-to-go type, then simply saute it until wilted in a little oil with some salt. Don’t completely overcook the kale, because you will add it to the rice dish and continue to cook it for a little longer.
I made this dish on the weekend and allowed it to sit in the skillet until completely cooled. Then I packaged it up in a food safe container and stuck it in the refrigerator. (It will last a good 5 days in the refrigerator, so it’s a great dish for getting some of your weeknight meal prep out of the way on the weekend!) To reheat it, I simply added it back into a dry skillet and heated it through on a medium-low heat.
Scrambled Tofu and Kale Fried Rice is certainly a great side or a wholesome dish on it’s own. It’s also really good left at room temperature, so keep this recipe handy for those summer barbeques or family picnics when you need to bring along a side dish to share.
Lastly, I have to thank Savita at Chef de Home for this recipe. I modified the recipe slightly to fit my personal tastes. Thanks, Savita!
Scrambled Tofu and Kale Fried Rice
- 350 grams extra firm tofu, pressed dry with paper towels, and crumbled/shredded by hand
- 1 cup chopped kale, frozen
- 3 cups cooked rice, cooled (day old is best)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, or turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet and bring to medium-high heat.
- Add the curry powder and stir into the oil.
- Add the tofu and stir to coat well with the curry powder and oil mixture. Saute on high for five minutes until the tofu is cooked and slightly crispy. Remove the tofu to a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the skillet.
- Next, add another tablespoon of olive oil and the sesame oil to the skillet. Add the garlic, ginger, and frozen kale. Saute for two to three minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, salt, pepper, and stir to combined.
- Toss in the cooked rice and stir well until coated with the soy sauce mixture.
- Add back in the cooked tofu and stir to combine. Continue to saute for another three or four minutes.
- Plate and top with fresh cut parsley for garnish. Serve.