I’ll find any excuse to use my Pioneer Woman pot – really, I will! I know it’s not the best quality cast iron Dutch oven out there, but it’s the first one I’ve ever owned, and I love it! I’ve been using it as much as I possibly can – this One Pot Basmati Rice and Mushrooms dish was the perfect recipe to break in the new pot! Since then, I’ve been using it more and more. I love to simmer a pasta sauce for hours in it; nothing ever dries out! This purchase has certainly fueled my drive to buy a few higher end Dutch ovens. (I spied a Le Creuset outlet during my last shopping trip to Buffalo – great colours – but, I do tend to favour the Staub brand.)
This mushroom and rice dish was hearty and earthy. I love the texture and flavour of mushrooms which have been sautéed in a little oil and butter for a long period of time. I tend to sauté mushrooms a little longer than I should, because the longer they cook, the more intense the flavour and the meatier the texture.
When cooking with mushrooms, I have a dirty little secret that I shouldn’t confess as a food blogger. But, in the spirit of full disclosure, I find that adding a mushroom gravy seasoning packet to the dish elevates the mushroom flavour to a whole new level. To be honest, I rarely cook mushrooms without the seasoning packet, especially if the dish has very few ingredients like this one, and I really want the taste of mushrooms to dominate the dish.
I realize that the mushroom gravy mix tends to be a little high in sodium, so if any of you readers have a solution to that, I’d love to hear about it! Maybe you have a recipe of your own for seasoning mushrooms. If so, please leave your recipe in the comments below. Now, though, let’s get on to the recipe! #pioneerwomancollection #pioneerwomanobsessed
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 500 grams basmati rice
- 1 21 gram package Club House Mushroom Gravy Seasoning (optional)
- Begin by heating the butter and oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms for 5-7 minutes. Add the onions and continue cooking until the mushrooms take on a dark, golden colour. Some charred bits on the mushrooms are ideal!
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, add the rice, and the mushroom gravy seasoning packet. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Continue to cook for 20 minutes, checking and stirring at the 10 minute mark.
- Once the rice has absorbed all of the vegetable stock (depending on your stove top, this could be 20-30 minutes) add in the thyme and stir into the rice and mushroom mixture.
- Lower the heat to simmer and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes before removing from heat and serving.