I have a new-found love of coconut and it shows in these awesome oatmeal coconut chocolate cookies! I can’t get enough of it since discovering the goodness that is coconut flavoured Greek yogurt! Even though this cookie has no Greek yogurt, it does have a double dose of coconut with both shredded sweetened coconut and coconut oil. These cookies a deliciously chewy and not too bad for your diet either. (As long as you stick to only one!)
Coconut tends to be a little on the costly side, but it’s worth it if you consider the health benefits associated with it. I recently read in an article that it is being classified as a super food. You can Google the health benefits of coconut oil, because to be quite honest, there’s just way too many to list here, and I’m not qualified to determine what is an accurate benefit or just internet hype. 😉
For me, it’s all about the taste. And, when using coconut oil in baking – especially in this cookie recipe – the taste most definitely can be found! There’s really nothing like the taste of coconut. It’s by far one of my favourite comfort smells. It reminds me of Saturday mornings when my mom would do her weekly baking. She was such a big fan of coconut. I guess I inherited that from her!
- ½ cup, plus 6 tablespoons of room temperature coconut oil
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1½ cups shredded, sweetened coconut
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the coconut oil and both sugars until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and incorporate into the sugar mixture.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and mix well.
- Add in the oats, coconut, and chocolate chips; fold into the mixture.
- Using a small scoop, drop the batter on a lined cookie sheet leaving space for expansion while baking. (I placed four rows of three on a large baking sheet.)
- Once the dough is in place, slightly flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for exactly 9 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.