There just ain’t no beans at all about this dip! This hot and slightly spicy dip is perfect for game night, movie night, or a simple family and friends get together. You can make this a vegetarian dip by using textured vegetable protein, or a meaty dip by using ground beef. Either way, it’s a no beans chili recipe which is loaded with melted cheddar cheese on top, and a creamy surprise on the bottom.
Everyone loves a layered dip – at least everyone that’s been alive since the 70s when layered dips became all the rage. It became the perfect dish to carry with you to that weekend’s potluck dinner. At least that’s how I envision the 70s – I could be wrong; I’m such a youngin’! 😉
Even though this dip is baked, I wanted to keep the dip as easy as possible to prepare, so rather than making a pot of chili, I simply heated through two packages of Yves Veggie Ground Round and seasoned it with a packet of Old El Paso Chili Seasoning. If you have the time to use your own spice blend for the chili flavouring, please do so. When I made this dip, I was preparing for company and had so much more to do, so I took a few short cuts.
You can lighten this dip up by using beans instead of TVP or meat, use light cream cheese and sour cream, use light cheddar, etc. The choice is yours. Just don’t skimp on the nachos – this dip is heavy and needs a strong nacho chip, otherwise, expect a lot of breakage. Let’s get to the recipe – enjoy!
No Beans Chili Cheese Dip
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 cups vegetarian crumbles
- 1 packet Old El Paso Chili Seasoning Mix
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the Yves into a large skillet and on medium-high heat, heat through for 5 minutes. (If you are using ground beef, sauté until cooked and drain the fat.)
- Add the chili seasoning mix and the tomato sauce to the Yves and stir well to incorporate. Set aside.
- Using your hand-held mixer, cream the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream and mix together.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with the Yves mixture. Spread evenly.
- Lastly, top with the shredded cheese and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted very well. If you like extra bubbly cheese, turn on your oven's broiler for the last 2 minutes. Keep a close eye on the cheese so that it doesn't burn.
- Serve piping hot with your favourite nachos!