I’m getting my mushroom on again! I’ve been lovin’ me some mushrooms lately, but I’m lovin’ them even more now that the grocery store next to my apartment has two packages of pre-sliced cremini mushrooms for five dollars! I bought two packs to make this dish, which is roughly 5 cups of sliced mushrooms. I was inspired to make this dish, because I’ve been researching the benefits of incorporating more legumes into our diet. I’ve been relying too much on overly processed ingredients to get protein on our plates. And, I love that I can source lentils that are locally grown in Canada!
The health benefits of lentils are too great to ignore. For example, did you know that lentils are high in fibre, and complex carbohydrates, while low in fat and calories. Their high protein content makes lentils a perfect option for those looking to boost their protein intake. They are naturally gluten-free, making them a delicious staple in a gluten-free kitchen. Score, right!?
In addition to the health benefits of the lentils, mushrooms are packed with vitamin B, D, and fibre. The spinach, also low in calories and nutrient-laden, is simple and allows the taste of the mushrooms and lentils to be the star of this dish; a great compliment to the freshness of the lemon and the heat from the dried chili flakes. Are you hungry yet!?
To make this dish, I paired the tasty pre-cooked lentils with fresh sautéed mushrooms, and tossed it with fresh spinach and lemon juice. I did use a little bit of butter to help the mushrooms along, but the other healthy ingredients far outweigh the bad of the butter!
You can certainly toss the spinach with the hot mushrooms and lentils, which will slightly wilt the greens, but I wanted to keep the leaves fresh and whole, so I opted to allow the mushroom and lentil mixture to cool to room temperature before adding the greens. The choice is yours really – both ways are great!
- 5 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 540ml can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Spinach leaves, desired amount
- Parsley, chopped
- In a large sauté pan, add the butter and oil and turn the heat to medium.
- Toss in the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Sauté until browned. (About 15 minutes.)
- Add the dried chili flakes and minced garlic. Sauté for two additional minutes.
- Add the rinsed lentils and the lemon juice.
- Stir all ingredients together, and continue to sauté for another two or three minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the desired amount of mushroom and lentil mixture with the desired amount of spinach. Generally, a ratio of one to one works well, but do what works best for you.
- Garnish with some chopped parsley and serve!