In a effort to finish a new project I’ve been working on involving recipes which use textured vegetable protein, I was researching recipes which use ground beef, turkey, or pork, and trying to incorporate Yves Veggie product line into the recipe as a meat substitute. While looking on Pinterest for ideas, I found a recipe similar to this one for a taco-inspired pasta dish. Since we love tacos, and we love pasta, why not give it a try?
Even thought I love to cook, I equally love a fast go-to dish that delivers big, bold flavours, costs very little to make, has few ingredients, and looks like it’s worth its weight in gold. This dish meets every single one of these criteria and more. The taco flavour is just the right amount; it’s not too intense at all. I was worried about it being a little too spicy, but the addition of the sour cream not only cools down the taco seasonings, but adds a wonderful creaminess to the dish.
For colour, I added in lots of freshly sliced green onions, but to mimic the look and taste of a taco, I added in lots of finely chopped fresh tomatoes right at the end. I didn’t want to cook the tomatoes, but just heat them through with the residual heat from the pan.
Topping this bowl of pasta with a bit of sour cream creates the masterpiece you see in front of you. But, you can most certainly grate a little bit of sharp cheddar on top, or add some guacamole, or even crushed Doritos!
- 1 312 gram package Yves Veggie Ground Round
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 35 gram package taco seasoning
- 1 450 gram package fusilli pasta
- 3 large roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup green onions. finely sliced
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 6 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and bring the temperature of the pan up to a medium heat. Add the Yves veggie product and sauté for two minutes. Add the onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Add the pasta and stir into the 'meat' mixture. Once well coated, add the water and stir in the taco seasoning packet. Continue to stir frequently until the pasta is cooked and the water has evaporated and absorbed.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the green onions, tomatoes, and sour cream. Stir well into the hot pasta.
- Serve immediately.