Tender chunks of seasoned chicken breast glazed with a thick honey lemon ginger sauce. Sweet, sour, tangy, perfectly moist and juicy, Honey Lemon Ginger Glazed Chicken is a dish that’s sure to get everyone to the dinner table.
I’ve been preparing a lot of chicken dishes lately, and it’s because it’s an easy dinner for me to prepare after work. Since John.e and McKenna are vegetarians, I often prepare dinners for the both of them and forget about my own dinner preferences. Since chicken is so easy to prepare, it has become almost a weeknight regular feature.
For them, it’s usually some variety of brown rice, steamed broccoli, an easy pasta, or a vegetarian casserole. Oftentimes, I’ll make sandwiches or grilled cheese. Very seldom do I make salads, because to be perfectly honest, I have no desire to wash and cut seven or eight different vegetables after a long day at work.
I try to stay away from the rice and the pasta, so usually, I end up with chicken or tuna. Even though I love a good tuna salad, I’d much prefer a sauce-covered chicken much like this Honey Lemon Ginger Glazed Chicken.
And, if you’re cooking dinner after on a weeknight, you want a dinner that’s fast and easy to clean up after too, not only delicious and satisfying. This dish is all of those things. Using only a skillet and a small mixing bowl, you can create this wonderfully tasty chicken dish that’s a perfect main to a simple side salad or some steamed veggies. Maybe even some of that brown rice that I cooked for John.e and McKenna!
I want to take just a moment before you get to the recipe to point something out. You’ll notice that the chicken is very light in colour. I cooked the chicken in a large skillet – to avoid overcrowding the pan – and just cooked it carefully on all sides. I purposely did not brown the chicken. If you’d prefer to brown your chicken, you can certainly do that before you move on to the sauce portion of the recipe.
I’m from the school of thought that believes that overcooked chicken breast is dry and inedible. So, for me personally, I will gladly forego the deep, brown, caramelized colour in exchange for moist flavourful chicken. It’s you choice, Dear Reader; here’s the recipe:
Honey Lemon Ginger Glazed Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh chopped parsley and sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add a little olive oil and saute the chicken until cooked through. Should take about 10 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together all other ingredients until well combined.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the skillet and stir until thickened.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and stir to combine and coat with the sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and sesame seeds; serve.