I made a muffin that’s healthier than most and can be personalized to almost any taste. What do I mean by that? Well, Dear Reader, this muffin recipe is a very simple recipe which can absorb add-ins to make the muffin your way. As you can see from the pictures, I decided to add chocolate chips to the top – I guess that makes it less healthy, but I’m okay with that! 😉
You most certainly can add fresh blueberries or raspberries, raisins, nuts or seeds, coconut, dates, etc. Just try to use ingredients with as little moisture content as possible. For example, I would not use fruit with lots of water content such as fresh pineapple, because it will add to the moisture content in the muffin mix and most likely will throw off your baking time and the ability for the muffin batter to rise while in the oven. Use ‘lighter’ fruits if you decide to top your muffins with anything at all. Toppings are not needed; this muffin recipe is quite good on it’s own.
Another great option is a crumb topping. Try tossing together 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, dash of salt, a pinch of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of white sugar. Before you place the muffins in the oven, simple mix the ingredients together and sprinkle on to the top of raw batter and bake. You can even add some instant coffee granules! Now, let’s get to the recipe and remember, you can top these your way! Chocolate chips are just what I had on hand, and besides, we all know how much John.e loves chocolate!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk together just until incorporated. Do not over mix. There's no need for mixing dry and wet ingredients separately. Add everything to the bowl at once.
- Lightly spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Portion a ¼ cup of the batter into each muffin hole. You should get 10 muffins.
- Top each muffin to your preference, or bake as is for 20 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool slightly before moving to a cooling rack to finish the cooling process.