Hi Pretty Practical readers! My name is Meaghan and I blog over at Cook. Craft. Love. and I’m super excited to be here with you today to share these savory scones with you!
When I asked Byron what type of recipe he’d like me to make for y’all he immediately said “something savory!” Except he probably said it with a ‘u’ ’cause he’s Canadian 😉 Then he asked for brunch. I like brunch. Ok, ok I looooove brunch but most savory brunch dishes involve eggs and I don’t love eggs. It’s a weird quirky thing about me that I’ve never quite been able to figure out. I even try them every couple of years just to make sure that I still don’t like them. So far no luck.
Then I remembered bread. Bread is a staple pretty much at any meal but scones and biscuits come to mind for brunch. I can honestly say I’ve never made a savory scone recipe before but I took the sweet one I had memorized from making it dozens and dozens of times, cut back the sugar, and added in diced ham and cheese. I know Byron has a lot of vegetarian recipes on this blog but I couldn’t NOT make a savory scone. If you’re not a ham person feel free to sub bacon or just leave out the meat completely.
If they last that long you’ll love these scones the next day, freshly toasted, and slathered with butter. I may or may not have eaten all of them over the course of a week completely by myself. You can’t really blame me when they were sitting on the island in the kitchen, begging to be eaten. Begging I tell you! So if you’re in need of a savory nibble for breakfast or brunch this weekend then try these ham and cheese scones!
Ham and Cheese Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 8 Tbs salted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for top
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Using your fingers or a pastry cutter cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in milk and mix together with your hands* until all the flour is incorporated, about 5 minutes.
- Fold in diced ham and shredded cheese until evenly dispersed.
- Pat dough into a circle about 3/4" thick and cut into 8 equal wedges.
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet, top each scone with more shredded cheese, and bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.