Espresso Chocolate Dipped Shortbread – why? There are about a million reasons why you need this cookie if your life this holiday season, but in an effort to save your time, I’ll give you just a few.
The first reason is espresso. I’m not sure about you, but life for me is extremely busy during the Christmas season. Between the baking, the decorating, the shopping, the wrapping, the events around the city, and visitors, my days are filled to the brim with excitement, because I love each and every one of those things. Espresso, you see, gives a jolt of energy when needed. And, as you know, coffee makes everything better.
The second reason is chocolate dipped. Everything; and, I do mean EVERYTHING, is better when it’s dipped in chocolate. Can I get an amen!? The flavours of coffee and chocolate work extremely well together, after all, why do you think those fancy mochas at Starbucks are so popular and delicious?
Thirdly, there’s the shortbread part. Shortbread is delicious any time of the year if you ask me, but there’s just something about the addition of shortbread to a dessert table at Christmastime that just makes me very happy. And, with Christmas being a wallet-busting holiday, why not give your bank account a break and settle for cookies that won’t cost too damn much – butter, sugar, flour – nothing expensive or spectacular.
Can you think of other reasons why you need this cookie in your life? Or have I given you enough? Ha!
I had a blast making these! I very rarely get to use my rolling pin for anything, so at Christmastime, I like to break one of them out and get an upper arm workout – that means I can eat more cookies.
Did you catch that, Dear Reader? I said, “one of them.” Yes, that’s right; I have a growing rolling pin collection. So far, I have three Pioneer Woman rolling pins, and about six or seven wooden pins. Of the wooden pins, there’s only one that I use – it was John.e’s mom’s rolling pin – the rest are antique and are for decoration only. #pioneerwomancollection This is where you think to yourself that I need help. And, this is where I agree with you!
Espresso Chocolate Dipped Shortbread
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso granules, instant coffee can be substituted
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Using a handheld mixer, beat together the butter and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Next, on low speed, beat in the flour, sugar, and espresso.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to approximately ¼ to ½ inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the desired shape and/or size.
- Place cookies on the cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and allow cookies to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Once completely cooled, melt the chocolate chips until smooth. Dip the cookie halfway into the melted chocolate and lay each cookie gently on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate to allow chocolate to set.