Both John.e and McKenna love chili, so this Cheesy Chili Macaroni was right up their alley. Me? Well, I’m not a huge fan of chili, but I am at the same time. Let me explain…
For some odd reason, I cannot stand the taste of cumin. Yet, both John.e and McKenna love it. So, I usually cook for their tastes anyway, and added it to this recipe. If I were making this for myself, I’d completely leave it out! If there are three things in the food world that I cannot bring myself to like the taste of, it’s cumin, cilantro, and olives. If I were ever in a situation where I was being forced to divulge sensitive information, I’d completely cave and spill the beans if one of those food items were introduced to the negotiation process. #truestory
I must confess though, I did taste this chili – one cannot properly cook without tasting! That is the sacrifice I make to bring you, Dear Reader, recipes like this! You’re most welcome! It was actually quite delicious. I think the pasta and the cheese diffused the flavour of the cumin. Hey, that works for me!
I absolutely love how the pasta cooked up in this dish! It wasn’t overcooked at all and took on the flavour of the chili. This was certainly a win!
This dish was the result of back to school weeknight dinner research, which resulted in foods that I could cook ahead of time and freeze. It makes weeknight dinner easier, especially when both John.e and I work full time and McKenna is one of those genius students who pours her heart and soul into homework. I love that about her!
Whenever I make freezer meals, I’ll portion out enough for the three of us and when I feel like having that particular dish for dinner, I’ll take it out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator before I leave for work in the morning. When I arrive home, it’s just a matter of tossing it in a skillet and heating it through. Life is best when it’s easy, right?
We are learning all kinds of shortcuts now that McKenna is living with us. Hey, here’s a thought… maybe I should blog about that! I’ll store that idea in my blog book for future use. In the meantime, you go make a pot of this Cheesy Chili Macaroni and make weeknight dinners fuss-free at your home too!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1 can whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 450gram package dried macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (plus more for garnish)
- Sour cream, for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven, add the olive oil and onions. Cook until the onions are tender. Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes.
- Add the pasta sauce, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the kidney and black beans. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the water and the pasta. Stir and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Check the pasta for doneness. Depending on the pasta brand you use, it might take a minute or two longer. Just don’t add any more water, unless you’d prefer a soupier chili. You run the risk of overcooking the pasta if you add more liquid.
- Once the pasta is cooked, turn off the heat and stir through the cheddar cheese.
- Serve immediately with more cheddar, scallions, and sour cream for garnish.