A warm and hearty soup, full of healthy ingredients and the goodness your body needs to fight seasonal colds. Cauliflower and Kale Curry Soup is just the thing to get you back on track with healthy eating after the holidays and will most certainly awaken those lazy winter taste buds!
Curry is a new flavour profile to our home. I haven’t really cooked with it too much at all, but we all love the flavour so much, it’s becoming a regular taste that we all crave from time to time. Of course, the icing on the cake is that both John.e and McKenna love it – which makes my life easier, because curry loves vegetarian cuisine.
I’ve featured many cauliflower recipes on my blog, mostly in whole form, so it should come as no secret that I love to incorporate one of my favourite vegetables into soup form as well. Along with the chopped kale and the onions and garlic, this soup will surely become one of your favourites too.
As you can see from the photos, this soup looks like a cream soup, but I assure you, Dear Reader, there is no dairy at all in this soup. I’ve kept this particular soup recipe as clean as I possibly could, using only great ingredients and seasonings.
In fact, Cauliflower and Kale Curry Soup would make a great meal-substitute for a detox option. Throw away that cabbage soup diet plan and get some great tasting soup in your body instead!
Not only is this soup delicious, it’s also vegetarian, vegan, paleo, and Whole30 compliant as well! How’s that for good for you!?
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets and chopped into ‘rice’ in a food processor or hand-grated
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen chopped kale
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 pinch dried red chili flakes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a heavy-bottom pan, add the olive oil and onion; saute the onion for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and water, add the grated cauliflower, kale, and carrots. Also add the salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika, curry powder, and dried red chili flakes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a low boil. Simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- At this point, taste test to see if the carrots and cauliflower are cooked. Sometimes, carrots can take a little longer to cook. If cooked, move on to the next step, otherwise, continue to simmer for another few minutes.
- Use a hand-held immersion blender to “cream” the soup – don’t over blend the soup; be sure to leave some chunky bits for texture.
- Stir in the fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately.
- This soup is a great freezer-friendly soup and can easily be reheated. Served with some crusty bread or some good crackers, this is a complete, wholesome meal.