If I’ve written once on this blog, I’ve written it a thousand times – I don’t crave sweet; I crave salt. These cookies, however, provide both! You get the sweet from the caramel and the chocolate, and the salt from the broken pretzel pieces littered throughout the cookie. It’s the yin and yang of cookies!
A few weeks ago, during a shopping trip to Buffalo, I found Kraft Caramel Bits at Target. I knew I’d find a great way to put them to use! By the way, traveling across the border from Canada into the United States for the sole purpose of shopping is a very Canadian thing to do. The U.S. has things that we can’t get here in Canada, and sometimes, the extra effort and currency exchange is worth the wait at customs. We used to have a Target here in Canada, but only for a year or so. The chain didn’t do too well here. They blamed it on the spending habits of us Canadians, but I’m pretty sure it was due to the fact that they did not know how to stock their shelves. John.e and I have been to Target in Canada a few times and most of the shelves were empty! Anyway, I now have an excuse to drive to Buffalo!
By the way, Dear Reader, if you are a resident of the U.S. and you can find cinnamon chips (like chocolate chips, but not!) at your local grocery store, I would love to get some! Again, something that is not easy to find here in Canada. Along with fire roasted canned tomatoes; what’s up with that!?
Back to these gorgeous, delicious cookies… I brought a bunch of these to work, along with a few other cookies that same day. I also sent some to John.e’s office. I like to get feedback on the cookies before I write up the blog post and publish it. Sometimes, I can be biased, so it’s always good to get opinions from a few people first. And, let me tell you, people love to be honest! Here’s some of the comments: “love the sweet and salty balance;” “these are my favourite, like, ever!” “I’m having a second; I’ll just call it lunch!” There you have it! Enjoy!
- ½ cup salted room temperature butter
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup salted pretzels, broken into pieces
- ½ cup Kraft caramel bits
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter with both the sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the vanilla and the egg. Cream into the butter mixture.
- Add the salt, baking soda, and flour. Mix until well combined and incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and using a large wooden spoon, gently fold in the Kraft caramel bits, pretzel pieces, and chocolate chips.
- Use a small ice-cream scoop to portion our the cookies onto a lined baking sheet. Doing so will ensure even cookie size and baking time.
- Bake for 12 minutes.