Baked Chicken Skewers are proof that an outdoor grill is not needed to achieve great charred taste. These chicken skewers are tender, moist, and flavourful; and with only four ingredients and 35 minutes, you can enjoy the taste of summer anytime!
Living in a city has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages too. In fact, the older I get, the less I enjoy the fast-paced city life. I long for the days when life settles down, and I hope those days are accompanied by a small house in the country with a big backyard. Is that asking for too much?
To help cope with city stress, and to overcome my limited access to barbeque season, I’ve come up with a great way to bake skewers rather than grill them. For some reason, I’m sure my neighbours would not appreciate me having an open flame on my balcony – another reason that country home won’t come fast enough!
Whenever I get the chance to use an outdoor grill, I get giddy with excitement. I love to grill and I really don’t get to do it as often as I’d like. But, why must I suffer when I can achieve results like those you can see in the photos with an oven in my very own small, apartment-sized kitchen?
The really cool thing about this recipe, except from the fact that it’s so easy and fast, is that you can easily customize it. For this particular recipe, I used a store-bought jarred tandoori sauce. I love the flavours of tandoori, but the sauce tends to be a little too spicy for John.e and McKenna. That’s why I had to have it for this chicken dish. There was no risk of those two vegetarians complaining about the spiciness in this dish!
If tandoori isn’t your thing, you can use almost any sauce you wish. I’d love to try this dish again with a honey chipotle sauce, or a honey garlic sauce. Yes, I love the taste of honey with chicken! In fact, you wouldn’t need to use a sauce at all. A nice jerk chicken rub would be great too!
Well, Dear Reader, there you have it – an easy and wonderful Baked Chicken Skewer that will keep you happy if you’re grill-less like me, or even in the middle of winter when your grill is snowed in; there’s no more reason not to enjoy the taste of summer anywhere or anytime.
Baked Chicken Skewers
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups tandoori sauce, see notes
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, optional
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped (optional)
- Add the cubed chicken to a large bowl and toss with salt and pepper to coat.
- Add one cup of the tandori sauce and stir to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray the skewers with cooking spray.
- Skewer the chicken cubes onto the skewers and lay the skewers across a baking pan as shown in the photos. Do not allow the chicken to touch the sides or bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake, on the center rack, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Baste with remaining tandori sauce and return to oven to bake for another 15 minutes.
- In the last minute or two, switch to broil to slightly char the chicken to give a grilled look.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley and serve!
If you use wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes beforehand.
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for quick and easy reference! Click HERE!