Simple, hearty, and delicious; individual portions make these Baked Asparagus with Eggs and Parmesan easy to serve and a little elegant too!
It’s no secret that we love asparagus in our home. I used to only buy it when it was in season here in Ontario, which is late May and June, but we love it so much, we now buy it whenever the mood strikes.
If you’re in Canada and looking for asparagus during the off-season period, then you should try Costco. They sell a 2.2 pound bag of fresh asparagus for less than seven dollars. That’s a lot of asparagus for that price – especially here in Canada!
From that one bag, I can get about two or three meals for the three of us, depending on what that meal might be. In most cases, when serving asparagus as a side, I usually see about three or four spears. Not in the Thomas-Ewing household! We want at least ten of those spears all to ourselves!
When it comes to a dish like this Baked Asparagus with Eggs and Parmesan, you have two options. You can certainly serve it as a side dish, or you can serve it as a main. This particular dish for me was a main. Each of those square baking dishes had ten spears of asparagus and two eggs. That’s a light dinner with calories to spare! If you’re super hungry, serve this dish with a baked chicken breast.
Speaking of chicken breasts, I know there are many of us out there – myself included! – who don’t really care for plain old baked or grilled chicken breast. Let’s face it, it’s pretty boring! But, I’ve got a fix for that! Go ahead and check out my 6 Seasoning Blends for Baked Chicken. There’s a seasoning blend in that post to suit everyone’s personal preference.
There are a few opinions on how to properly cook asparagus. To be completely honest, I have not tasted an asparagus that I didn’t like! Some people prefer a softer asparagus, while others prefer a crunchy asparagus. In terms of preference, I fall somewhere in the middle. I don’t like under cooked asparagus and I certainly don’t like over cooked either!
That’s why I will often blanch my asparagus before adding it to recipes. For this particular recipe, I blanched the aspargus for just a short while to partially cook it and to bring out that bright green flavour. If you want a firmer, crunchier asparagus, you can go ahead and skip the blanching step.
When all is said and done, Baked Asparagus with Eggs and Parmesan is a great dish – side or main – that has so much flavour. The asparagus is seasoned with salt and pepper and is baked with butter, so yum! Then, there’s those two baked eggs on the top with those creamy yolk centers. And, of course, who could forget the additional cracked black pepper and that saltiness from the parmesan cheese!? So easy, so fast, and so delicious!
If you’re looking for more asparagus inspiration – you know, just in case you have gone ahead and purchased that 2.2 pound bag of asparagus from Costco – look no further than right here at Lord Byron’s Kitchen!
Try my Asparagus and Goat Cheese Pizza and change up your pizza night dramatically. There’s even a very easy pizza dough recipe in that post as well! If you’re looking for an appetizer, why not try my Wrapped Asparagus Spears with Garlic Butter and Parmesan – everyone loves these! And for side dishes, in addition to this Baked Asparagus with Eggs and Parmesan, try this Lemon Butter Asparagus or this Honey Soy Asparagus with Black Sesame Seeds.
Oh! I almost forgot! I have two awesome salads that use asparagus as the star ingredient as well. I make these two over and over again and cannot decide which one I like better. First, there’s my Roasted Asparagus Lemon Butter Pasta Salad, and then there’s my Asparagus and Egg Pasta Salad recipe. Both are so yummy!
There you have it, Dear Reader – a whole bunch of recipes to inspire you and to help you get your asparagus fill. Asparagus season is just around the corner, so you have time to plan way ahead. Or, you know, just hit up your local Costco!
If you loved this recipe, here are some others that might interest you as well:
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later! Click HERE!
Baked Asparagus with Eggs and Parmesan
- 30 spears asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1.5 – 2 inch lengths
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, heaping
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place three baking dishes on a baking sheet and add one teaspoon of olive oil to each dish. Use a pastry brush to spread the olive oil around the inside of the baking dishes. Set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to a hard boil Add a dash of salt and then add the chopped asparagus. Stir. When the water returns to a boil, remove from heat. Drain the asparagus and transfer to a large bowl of cold water. (This will stop the cooking process and save your asparagus from wilting.)
- Drain the cold water well from the asparagus. Distribute the asparagus among the three prepared baking dishes. Top the center of each baking dish with a teaspoon of butter.
- Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Crack two eggs into each baking dish, being extra careful not to break the yolks.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each portion with one tablespoon of parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Return to oven and bake for 7 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Are you making this recipe? Show me your version! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook! @lordbyronskitchen | #lordbyronskitchen