30 Minute Black Bean Corn and Rice Skillet has everything a well-rounded, wholesome meal requires! Delicious flavour, protein, and veggies – this is the perfect family dinner recipe with numerous serving options!
I love nothing more than to prepare a dish such as this Black Bean Corn and Rice Skillet that gives me lots of options whenever I’m ready to serve it up. In the photos, as you can see, I served the dish up in a non-complicated, no-fuss way; a little diced avocado, some shredded cheese, and a little sour cream. It’s perfect just on its own, but a little toppings make it extra special.
When you have a dish such as this that’s loaded with black beans, corn, red pepper, red onion, and taco/Mexican-inspired seasonings, the possibilities are nearly endless. You can easily top a bed of lettuce with a cup of this Black Bean Corn and Rice dish and enjoy an easy and fast salad. You can reheat it, pile it onto a tortilla with a little cheese and taco sauce for a great burrito option.
Try tossing it with cooked pasta and a few tablespoons of salsa for a hearty pasta dish. Spoon liberally over a sheet pan lined with tortilla chips, top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes for a savoury nacho dish – how’s that for family fun night food!?
The simplicity of this recipe speaks for itself. I used canned black beans, frozen corn, leftover brown rice, and just a few pantry staple seasonings. These ingredients, paired with fresh red onion, chopped red peppers, and freshly minced garlic, and you’ve got a dinner fit for a King. Or a Queen!
Oh, and I can’t forget to mention the freshness of the lime juice. Citrus in almost any dish brings out the flavours so well. And, if you’re adventurous – that’s how I describe people who eat cilantro – you can most certainly add some fresh chopped cilantro to this dish to make it more authentically Mexican. I’m of the persuasion that cilantro takes like soap, so I always substitute it with freshly chopped parsley.
The choice is yours, Dear Reader; parsley or cilantro – either way, you’re going to really enjoy the fresh, vibrant flavours of this dish and the versatility of it as well!
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups corn, frozen
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 avocado, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (optional)
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add the oil, onions and peppers. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Next, add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Stir into the onion and pepper mixture until well incorporated.
- Next, add the black beans, corn, and brown rice. Stir well to combine all ingredients. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes until beans, corn, rice and fully heated through.
- Lastly, cut the lime in half and spritz the juice over the mixture.
- Serve with diced avocado and sour cream.
In a hurry? Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for quick and easy reference! Click HERE!
All access to Lord Byron’s Kitchen! Never miss another recipe!